Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former scuba diver (more than 20 years ago) I do not understand why you would prefer to use a Hookah System.
Wouldn't it be safer to use an aqua lung as there are no airlines to get tangled up and you don't have to worry about
contaminated air at the dive site, you would be less obvious while diving, you could dive deeper when necessary and
if you need more dive time you could bring an extra tank(s). I have not priced it out, but it may be affordable to
take a smaller a portable air compressor designed to fill aqualungs to the dive site for an extended stay(s).

As always, this is the first place I turn for info. I have searched the forums and found some info but looking for new info and opinions in regard to the safest Hookah System out there. Just using it on calm lakes.....15 to 20 feet. Any suggestions?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a former scuba diver (more than 20 years ago) I do not understand why you would prefer to use a Hookah System.
Wouldn't it be safer to use an aqua lung as there are no airlines to get tangled up and you don't have to worry about
contaminated air at the dive site, you would be less obvious while diving, you could dive deeper when necessary and
if you need more dive time you could bring an extra tank(s). I have not priced it out, but it may be affordable to
take a smaller a portable air compressor designed to fill aqualungs to the dive site for an extended stay(s).

because you can dive for hours on a tank of gas, and if you run out, you just put in a few bucks more gas. There are pros and cons to both. The pros to the hookah is that you don't have to be certified (time and money). You don't have to have regs and tanks inspected every year. You don't have to worry about getting tanks hydo'd every 4 years. You don't have to stop, leave the site and waste time getting tanks re-filled at a scuba shop every time you run out of air.

When people are using a hookah, they are often spending a LOT of time under water, not a one hour reef hop.

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Cortes, Lobo Super Traq, Golden Umax 2.0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention some folks live hours away from anywhere to fill tanks.

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Right when I thought I had all the toys I needed, I go and read about this

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300,000 in Gold Coins were found last year. 150 yards from shore in 15 feet of water, off the Fort Pierce coast. :)

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

It's. So funny how some divers see the hookah system as more dangerous than tanks ..
Just as this post from a diver !news flash scuba systems have hoses to get tangled just as a hookah system.... And many more tank divers have died from there equipment getting tagled than with hookah systems
They also have higher death rates when compaired to hookah systems..

The real truth is it's the diver who usally gets themselfs in trouble not there equipment !
Very seldom have we ever herd of equipment failures that cause the accident .... Any how a bad diver can kill himself with a snorkel , hookah or tanks and a safe diver can use any of them without problems... It's all about takeing care of your equipment and checking it out befor diving with it...

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have built and used many different systems. I prefer a compressor that hookah max uses !
But I don't buy it from them .it can be bought from nother tool for 599 and simply needs a snorkel added
And cost about 10 dollars to do so ... It offers several advantages over most other systems .
1its a high presure system so there no need for low presure regulators and open up a lot more things like Full face mask
2. It has a idle down system so it's not loaded up all the time when it has enought pressure it goes to bypass and idles saving much gass
3. Honda engine.. Need I say more
4 high capacity can dive 3 plus divers at 25 ft.
5. Price ... You can't touch another system with this much capacity for the money...
6. Made in the USA ! All of it !
Hookah max charges 1800 plus for this unit but you can buy the compressor for 599
Will try to post a link ... Bother tool
Item# 211114
You can compair it to hookah max system on eBay

Last edited:

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It never ends. How about the camera built in to the dive mask. Go Pro, headphones and mask is to much but now a camera mask ya I want one.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct G1sammons; I do have a natural bias against hookah and see it less versital and more dangerous than using tanks. My earliest concerns were about the irresponsible way hookah was being promoted by journalist(s) without identifying the inherent danger(s) of using them to people who had never dove.

All forms of diving are inherently dangerous and non forgiving- you can drown in less than two inches of water.

I take issue, with your statement that “
The real truth is it's the diver who usually gets themselves in trouble not there equipment “!
In my opinion “.Faith is the Hunter”: There are also equipment failures, faulty designs, human error by support personnel, and the unpredictability of nature which have resulted in the death of highly experienced divers. I more than heard about this, several of these fatalities/ dehabilitating accidents (which happened (deep free diving with snorkel, scuba diving, and hookah), were associates/friends of mine.
Also, I saw no mention of using a capable hookah tender or experienced diver for safety, in case something goes wrong

I do appreciate, the responses which I have received and would most likely use hookah for metal detecting based on posted replies.

It's. So funny how some divers see the hookah system as more dangerous than tanks ..
Just as this post from a diver !news flash scuba systems have hoses to get tangled just as a hookah system.... And many more tank divers have died from there equipment getting tagled than with hookah systems
They also have higher death rates when compaired to hookah systems..

The real truth is it's the diver who usally gets themselfs in trouble not there equipment !
Very seldom have we ever herd of equipment failures that cause the accident .... Any how a bad diver can kill himself with a snorkel , hookah or tanks and a safe diver can use any of them without problems... It's all about takeing care of your equipment and checking it out befor diving with it...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGC, hookah divers are diving in less than 30 feet of water. There is no time limit to diving at those depths. CESA is also extremely easy from that depth. I think that anyone diving more than a few feet deep on either tanks or hookah should have some training, but the vast majority of SCUBA training is dealing with greater depth and off-shore issues that don't exist with hookah.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are correct G1sammons; I do have a natural bias against hookah and see it less versital and more dangerous than using tanks. My earliest concerns were about the irresponsible way hookah was being promoted by journalist(s) without identifying the inherent danger(s) of using them to people who had never dove. All forms of diving are inherently dangerous and non forgiving- you can drown in less than two inches of water. I take issue, with your statement that “ The real truth is it's the diver who usually gets themselves in trouble not there equipment “! In my opinion “.Faith is the Hunter”: There are also equipment failures, faulty designs, human error by support personnel, and the unpredictability of nature which have resulted in the death of highly experienced divers. I more than heard about this, several of these fatalities/ dehabilitating accidents (which happened (deep free diving with snorkel, scuba diving, and hookah), were associates/friends of mine. Also, I saw no mention of using a capable hookah tender or experienced diver for safety, in case something goes wrong I do appreciate, the responses which I have received and would most likely use hookah for metal detecting based on posted replies.
Ohh I agree greatly about folks who don't get training ! Anyone diving should get some schooling befor going .i see a lot of dredgers who dive usally less than 10ft
And try to get them into school most won't go for it ... But it lead them down the wrong path .they don't see a problem with going further when the opportunity is there
.... But I never considered that to be a. Issue with the equipment... As some folks also get scuba gear without training and kill themselfs.. No fault of the equipment..
I scuba as well and can tell ya there are less problems with tangling hoses on a hookah system the one might think.. The hoses go straight up usally keeping them out of the way . I also carry backup air even when dredging at shallow dept .... Ya just don't know when your gona have some unforeseen problem....
I also don't care for the brownies and airline systems as they are low pressure systems and require special regulators and when you loose power they give you as much time to surface....

The biggest dangers I see with hookah is working in current . There's a real danger there people don't consider ... If your swept away your sure to find the end of your hose..
And if you don't practice your escapes you'll find you can loose air instantly ...because of kinked air lines.. They do make some unsinkable air hose but most don't use it..
As it's a little more costly..

You may want to give the hookah a shot .. I prefer it in most diving situations .as there a lot more comfort than having those tanks strapet to ya .
I dive a lot down in Florida and the keys and 99 percent of the time I'm on the hookah system ..

Scanman

Jul 27, 2013
NW MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have built and used many different systems. I prefer a compressor that hookah max uses !
But I don't buy it from them .it can be bought from nother tool for 599 and simply needs a snorkel added
And cost about 10 dollars to do so ... It offers several advantages over most other systems .
1its a high presure system so there no need for low presure regulators and open up a lot more things like Full face mask
2. It has a idle down system so it's not loaded up all the time when it has enought pressure it goes to bypass and idles saving much gass
3. Honda engine.. Need I say more
4 high capacity can dive 3 plus divers at 25 ft.
5. Price ... You can't touch another system with this much capacity for the money...
6. Made in the USA ! All of it !
Hookah max charges 1800 plus for this unit but you can buy the compressor for 599
Will try to post a link ... Bother tool
Item# 211114
You can compair it to hookah max system on eBay

I have no experience with Hookah's, and not doubting that the Northern Tool Compressor works, but was reading the owners manual and found:

RISK TO BREATHING. Be certain to read all labels
when you are spraying paints or toxic materials, and
follow the safety instructions. Use a respirator mask if
there is a chance of inhaling anything you are
spraying. Read all instructions and be sure that your
respirator mask will protect you. Never directly inhale
the compressed air produced by a compressor. It is
not suitable for breathing purposes.

Also:

Made in USA with domestic and foreign components

Which is probably true with most hookah's

http://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/211114.pdf

The Airline Hookah advertises:

All Air Line Diving Systems meet Compressed Gas Association Standard-E breathable air rating.

Air Line Diving System | The Air Line by J. Sink

CGA Grade Industrial Uses

A Industrial compressed air
L SCBA
D OSHA breathing air
E SCUBA
J Specialty grade air, analytical applications
N Medical/USP air

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcphc/Documents/industrial-hygiene/Breathing_Air_HP_3June2009.pdf

I think the Honda unit used with the Airline Hookah is commercial rated.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
s the pump is made by Sanborn iv done considerable research on it . And it's safe I know that the gc series Honda engines are made in the us also the may be a valve or something on this unit that's not made in the USA but it does carry the made in USA decal it doesn't say assibled is says made!
Any how the compressor is oilless and is the same compressor the hookahmax uses....
It was not manufactured for diving ! Therefor does not have things like snorkels for fresh air pick up . But can be converted easly

Nothing wrong with the airline guys or there equipment but just price the same cfm unit .... There quite a difference in price...
But also if I were going to buy a pre made hookah rig I'd go with brownies all the way! Don't know if you have used either of them but there's now comparison in my opinion!
Brownies was a lot more thoughtful on how there systems were put together and the ease of assembly ect ....
I like the but don't see the 2000 difference or either...

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also the warning is a standard for all compressor that are manufactured for purposes other than breathing
Kind of like 263 gast .. They make several compressors that are oilless but not manufactured for breathing ... You will find the same warning on those
Even know the make the same series for breathable air and the go thru the same process made at the same place... Some carried the warning.. Because of regulation..
Air line and brownies both used them back in the day...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny that when you look at the enlarged pic, it's a different compressor. There is clearly a sticker that says it oil lubricated and it shows higher cfms than the specs.

As long as it's not lubricated, it's good to go. An inline air filter wouldn't be a bad idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread