HOOKED ON METAL DETECTING

seeker443

Greenie
Nov 23, 2007
Auburn New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week a friend of mine moved out of state and left me his metal detector. Ive never been detecting before so I went to a local park to try to figure out how to use it ( he didnt leave me the manual). After wandering around for about a half hour the detector gave me my first signal, so I started digging. I was totally amazed when I dug up an 1880s indian head penny. I got so excited that I stopped detecting I stopped and went home. I became totally hooked. I dont have a camera yet but as soon as I get one I will post a pic.

Upvote 0

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing like a first find to get you totally hooked ;D, good luck and have a ton of fun.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
Welcome Bud :)!! That is one heck of a FIRST find! Man, relish it because some on here are still looking for their first ;) Great Job.
And I'm probably the one Sentinel is talking about ;) Excellent First Find and Welcome !! I hope you stay hooked,but the way it sound's,it's too late. Congrat's and HH!!

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Nice first find.You have the desease now,no cure.The only treatment to relieve the symptoms is more treasure hunting.
Best of luck,
Jim

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first find. That will get you started in a good way. Keep that penny in a safe place. 20 years from now you will appreciate it much much more than you do now if you can believe that.

When I found my first coin back in 1989. a Silver Roosevelt Dime, it excited me to no end but for some reason I didn't think about putting it away and identifying it. I still have it but I could not tell you which one out of the hundreds I have found since that it is.

I was given my first detector also. The hobby is addicting and rewarding and the best thing about it is that you meet some really great people including land owners, gawkers, property managers and other detectorists who are just as intrigued about what you are doing as you are.

Welcome again and I hope you have a long and prosperous detecting career.

DaChief

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, Seeker443! Kick back, relax, spend some time reading the threads....especially the Metal detecting board....and you'll be a pro in no time at all. 8)

That is a wonderful first find! Congratulations! :o

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Congrats on the cool find! Yea, that old of a coin would hook you. Well, mine was a pulltab too, and it still hooked me! The folks here are a great help in the hobby. Grab a camera and take those pics, the more the better, we all love to see em!

Happy Hunting
vegasmtl

echostar61

Jul 22, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter,Prizim II
Welcome and Congrats,What an amazing find your first time out. No wonder you are hooked.
Terri

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Truly awesome first find. I've been doing this since March & I haven't found one of those yet. Welcome to the hobby (addiction).

OP
OP
S

seeker443

Greenie
Nov 23, 2007
Auburn New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the encouragement . today I didnt get out but i did a lot of research.
i found an 1875 map of Auburn and noticed that there were a lot of schools marked
on it. I then compared it to a recent map and there were no schools
so i drove arond town and noticed that where the schools used to be there were now playgrounds
and parks. Its awesome there is so many places to go I dont know where to begin
I think I have a good spot at my original place but there is so many places to choose
There was also a railroad running along side the lake and several rail stops some with hotels
MAN THE RESEARCH IS AS MUCH FUN AS THE ACTUAL DETECTING
Anyway thanks again for all your encouragement

Chris

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi Chris and Welcome to our crazy hobby!! Glad to have you aboard. Have a blast, cover your holes and bring in the loot.........oh yeah, and get a digital camera.......Dear Santa! ;)

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread