Hope this isnt what it looks like!

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Hope this isn't what it looks like!

I was going through some old MD'ing finds today and ran across this old item. It appears to screw into something at one end and the other looks like the back of a center fire cartridge. Embossed on the shaft is either 40 sec. or 40 s & c. It looks to me like some kind of percussion fuse, but I HOPE I am wrong! Don't quite know how to dispose of it if that's what it is, but until I find out, I will be handling it very gingerly!. Maybe just something harmless--I hope so! Thanks and please let me know if you can identify!

Attachments

• P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 122
  • P1010139.JPG
    P1010139.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 117

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't tell you what it is but I can relieve your worry by saying with 100% certainty that it is not a fuze for an artillery shell or any other explosive device.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Can't tell you what it is but I can relieve your worry by saying with 100% certainty that it is not a fuze for an artillery shell or any other explosive device.

Hallelujah!!! (or however you spell it!) Thank you SO MUCH!--I was pretty worried, even though it is extremely small for any sort of fuse I still wasn't sure! Thanks again! (and "Amen" to your quote!)

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you I AM JOKING first before I say this, hit it with a hammer and tell us the results.It does seem to have a primer at the end. Cannonball guy is who you should PM and ask if it has anything to do with cannonballs or old munitions.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you I AM JOKING first before I say this, hit it with a hammer and tell us the results.It does seem to have a primer at the end. Cannonball guy is who you should PM and ask if it has anything to do with cannonballs or old munitions.

I was typing when he answered you.LOL

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookalike a stud like the studs on a car for your wheels but something older?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks for your post just the same!
P.S. As soon as I can retrieve the hammer from out of the ceiling joists, I will be back in business!

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with the knurled end it might be a winding type of key for a clock or something of that sort.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks so much for your post. By the way, how do you get a hammer dislodged from ceiling joists?

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More I look at it Im thinking a screw in leg for something last thought sorry just winter boredom

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Thanks to all who offered suggestions--time constraints don't allow me to answer each of you individually, but sincere thanks to all!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread