What's new

Hopefully Simple Whats It

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
3,358
Golden Thread
0
Location
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully Simple What's It

I've had this attached to my shed for ages and cannot remember where I got it. I think it is a farming tool of some kind. Someone told me it was a fruit picker but I doubt it. It is all tube steel except for the claw and measures about 57" long. Pull the handle to close the claw end but it is not spring-loaded so you have to push the lever away from you to open it. The Patent is on the inside of the double claw.
Any guesses?
 

Attachments

  • 100_3735small.webp
    100_3735small.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_3734small.webp
    100_3734small.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_3733small.webp
    100_3733small.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_3732small.webp
    100_3732small.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 390

Attachments

  • trash-pick-up-tool.webp
    trash-pick-up-tool.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

I searched the patent number, and it was patented on February 18, 1879. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

Agree on the Patent discrepancy. Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) lists the Patent as a Tractor Pulley :icon_scratch:. I couldn't find anything else.
Breezie I saw that date you mentioned so I was a bit surprised to see that it was for a door sill and carpet strip.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

Did Victorians pick up their trash? It's all I seem to find.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

It weighs about 6lbs. and comes up to my neck, (I'm 5'9") so it has a pretty good reach. Seems a bit heavy and cumbersome for a trash-picker-upper but I won't rule anything out yet.

I now see the number is 2125214 so I am going to research that. Tongs of some sort but I want more, :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

I should have said I was just guessing on the trash pick tool. It may be for fruit picking. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

How about an Apple picker? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

Tongs used to remove clumps of Coal out of a furnace.

Bill
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

My research shows them as 'tongs' invented by Apfel, Jacob F, and patented on 07/26/1938. That's all I found so I'll go with apple picker, TPU, (TrashPickerUpper) or anything requiring long steel tongs.

Solved. Thanks everyone!! :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

nova treasure said:
Tongs used to remove clumps of Coal out of a furnace.

Bill
Yep its for removing clinkers in a furnace. We couldnt see the last number 4 on the patent.
 

Attachments

  • tongs.webp
    tongs.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 326
  • tongs patent.webp
    tongs patent.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 337
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

Great ID nova :notworthy: and BigCy :notworthy:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

Wow! And thanks BigCyp!! Where did you find that?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hopefully Simple What's It

GopherDaGold said:
Wow! And thanks BigCyp!! Where did you find that?
Its from google patent. Click on search patent. You can type in the patent number or you can type in key words like I did. I had been typing in the wrong patent mumbers at first. You need to save the page to post it.
http://www.google.com/googlepatents/about.html
 

Attachments

  • tongs clinker patent.webp
    tongs clinker patent.webp
    92 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom