horrible dimes? whats happening!!!!!

They have all been 2012p dimes for me the past couple of weeks. Going on almost a month now................. I dont even crack the rolls open if they are 2012's on both sides. The mint is going to release a statement saying they underestimated the estimated amount of dimes to be made in 2012, and say they accidentally made 1000x that amount and will cease making dimes for the next several years as a result.

The last two boxes of dimes I went through produced nothing. I did $275 in CWR dimes three weeks ago and found 2 silver roosies. I got kind of lucky since an older lady had just turned them in (I was standing in line watching her turn them in). The only thing was that the $275 ended up being $1.10 short but I'm ok with that since I usually find extra coins in the TD Penny Arcades. I just get angry when I'm shorted like $30, which has happened before but I'm pretty sure it was the coin counting machine and not the rolls.

Last 4 out of 6 boxes were brand new 2012, but every other roll had a circulated dime or two in it. In the last box to my surprise I found this!

image-3952846989.jpg

A 51 Rosie :)
The other regular 2 boxes were real good with 4 in the first and 5 in the second including 2 mercs.

Last edited:
unless you are killing dimes, BAD BAD halves are better than dimes.

up your halves volume and see results

My dimes have been terrible too. I am going to try haves at a different bank and see if it helps .

Two weeks ago I had $720 worth of 2012-D's (and no silver) out of $750. Last week was better as far fewer 2012's were in the batch but still only one silver.

CNN.COM News, Updates, Headlines
12/30/2012 Making a Mint?
Just as the old year was about to come to a close, the most damaging report in regards to fiscal accountability within the US was released just moments ago. In a report the US mint, has publicly released actual coin production amounts, which are way off the mark of the original estimates. Pennies (cents per the mint's definition), Nickels, Quarters, saw slightly than higher estimates. The dollar coin's production actually was lower than the estimate. Thanks to machine malfunctioning at the Philadelphia Mint, dimes were produced at a rate of 100 to the 1 original estimate. Richard Peterson, director of the mint, has publicly acknowledged this crisis, and there is currently major talk of suspending dime production for the next decade at least. Political analysts, have been looking over this situation and feel, that this will have more of an impact than even the fever of the recent fiscal cliff. This story beckons, the time in 1964, when over 3 billion nickels were made. The dime is one of the few coins that the mint is able to make, and still sell it for over the production and material cost. If this situation would have been cents, or nickels, it could have cost tax-payers in excess of nearly half a trillion dollars.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/30/politics/making-a-mint?/index.html?hpt=hp_t1337

I could sense based on our findings in roll sorting, that the production of 12 dimes was ridiculously high.

Sounds like 13+ dimes will be collectors items!

I've done well with dimes 167 rosies, 11 Merc's, 1 barber and 14 Canadian 80%ers since the beginning of August. Only 2 full boxes of 2012's though I find quite a few in my rolls during searches. Over last month has been good as well. My halve are what fell off since my last big find? I think is luck of the draw definitely no science to this. Lol

first off a 1000$ in dimes is not exactly a large amount. I will say that finding no silver in 4 boxes of dimes is a rare, its not un heard of. Just push threw the skunks. If you do notice that 3 to 6 k in you still have not found a silver then try a new supplier. For me i never search brinks anything in my area. They are searched out , and everyone dumps into brinks.

I'm not sure where you're from, but here in PA I've hit the same problem. Looking at my history, Spring is a better time for me, averaging about 1 silver for every $103 in dimes. Right now I'm pulling 1 silver for every $261 in dimes. The last two boxes for me were skunks.

Dimes have slowed a bit for me too. I'm trying to get one more today to reach my 2012 goal of 200. Getting harder to find them....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back