D-8 Cat. There was a copper mine up on the mountain behind my house. No evidence of buildings, except boards laying around. I went into the tunnel a little way, and I know people that went all the way to the end, which was quite a distance. Never paid much attention to it in the past, then I decided to take a friend up there and show him the mine. It was gone. The BLM had used a cat and not just closed the entrance, they shaped the ground and there is no evidence of anything ever being there. I've seen this happen in other places also. Abandoned buildings on both Forest Service and BLM land are removed, the ground reshaped and no evidence left that anything had ever been there. When I was a kid back in the late 40's our family used to go scrounging around old mines and homesteads etc. No metal detectors in those days, but plenty of surface finds, bottles, etc. My cousin even found an old cap and ball pistol in one cabin, and my Uncle found the bottle that was half full of the powder he used with the pistol. I don't think that cabin was a mine, I think it had been a cow camp. In another place I remember dad taking an old wooden sluice apart and recovering gold out of it. I've tried going back, and those places are gone now, dozed away and the history replaced with bare ground. They started doing that in the '60's when hippies started moving into abandoned buildings out in the hills. They also took all mention of old mines and historic places off the Forest Service maps in the 70's.