how deep ?

TheDirtDiggler

Jan 10, 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say the majority of silver coins i find are found between 4 and 6 inches, with the occasional shallow find and i think 3 or 4 finds deeper than 6 inches. I never get signals over 7 inches..is it possible that since i have an older machine its not catching deeper signals? or would you say it is common to usually find silver at 5 inches and any deeper is fairly rare?

any suggestion/opinion would be great

thanks guys!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a well known fact you have to buy the most expensive detector, to find the deepest Treasure :laughing7: Ask any dealer :laughing9:

SS

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many factors. Your machine might find the larger coins, such as a quarter, half or dollar at deeper depths, if they are there. The type of soil is also a factor. One factor many do not consider with older machines is that they can be out of tune over time. Some of the electronic components can change values, the brain box may be damp inside, etc. How old is your Spectra? I assume your batteries are fresh. You can always test by burying a few coins at ten inches or so and see if your machine finds them. Try to define the problem before you seek a solutions.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like other well known questions (snicker). You are average! Some detectors are better (usually defined: newer) and some are worse. Work with what you got and you will do as good as most guys and gals. TTC

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the white's pulse scan 18 inches on a nickle
go to you tube
$1.800.00 pluss us dollars
the pulse scan will "over load" on a tree ring bullet at nine inches
yes
I said "over load"
if that detector had a screen it would say liftloop or turn down gain
9/10s of your detectors can't even find it at that depth

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the hundreds of coins I found over the last five years were six inches or less and a couple of coins at eight inches one mercury dime at ten inches because of back fill and six coins at fourteen inches because of back fill or soil moving down hill from rain. The coins ten inches or less were found with a Whites DFX and went over the same two areas with the E-TRAC and dug Indian cents and Wheat cents at fourteen inches. I would say that a cheaper detector could have found most of these coins.
roger

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The vast majority of the coins I have dug have been between the 4 - 6" range, there have been some deeper and some more shallow. I would agree with rodgerdodger, if they are deeper than that, odds are its from back fill or from earth movement of some sort. It also depends on the density of the soil too. Clay is going to yield coins much more shallow, where sand will hold them deep (at least in my experience). If you are hitting coins in the 4 -6" range you are right there.

HH
PTP

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Much of your ability to detect the deeper coins rests in how the coin itself is
situated in the soil. If it is sideways (edge up) there is very little surface for the
detectors signal to react to, but if laying flat it's much easier to get a response.

Soil conditions are critical too..mineralization and moisture are probably the two
biggest factors. In soil that is moist/damp down to a foot or more your ability
to detect deeper coins is greatly improved by the conductivity of that soil.

The CZ6a (Fisher) I just sold was 20+ years old, and it could still out-hunt
the more modern machines. I've found a Barber dime one time at better
than 14"-16" in some soil that was moist (it was the low spot on the
playing field), and many times small items would come from 8" or more.

Get to know every "peep" your machine makes, and listen for those faint,
quiet signals down deep. If you think you've got a decent signal but it's
faint, then dig out a 6" plug and check the hole again without the added
attenuation of that 6" of soil.

Hope that helps some! 8-)

Dizz

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my older coins are about 6 inches deep. for my areas, I when I see 6" I know I SHOULD have something old and I pray for silver. 7 - 8 inches isn't out of the question though. I just dug an 8" deep silver today.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's more to detectors than depth. Target seperation, audio and digital response, repeatability, readout speed. If your silver coin is 5" deep but below a nail at 2" with the detector null it out or alert you that something good is there.

One of the deepest dimes I ever hit was a 1996 Rosevelt clad beside a river in wet soil. It was 10" down. I thought I had something. Ice and current must have buried it well.

But I would say most silver I have found is within an inch of 5" deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread