What's new

How Do I Clean Wheat Pennies?

Recovering Relics

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
204
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
New England
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I would like to hear how everyone cleans their wheat pennies. Whenever I clean them in the sink, they just get crusted back over with dirt. How do I get them to stay clean?
 
It is the truth when it comes to cleaning finds. Method depends on the type of metal and condition, so without seeing what you have, and knowing your expectation, it's impossible to say.
 

Attachments

  • useless_without_pics_2.gif.webp
    useless_without_pics_2.gif.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 257,854
Iron Patch said:
It is the truth when it comes to cleaning finds. Method depends on the type of metal and condition, so without seeing what you have, and knowing your expectation, it's impossible to say.
Patch ...is that you holding the pichers sign?

2 replies and over 1300 views. come on people, how do you clean your wheaties?
 
Ammonia, dish soap, water and gravel in a Harbor Freight rock tumbler...........the same way I clean my other pennies and clad coins. Works as well as anything else I've ever tried.

HH

Dave
 
Bill Hilly said:
Iron Patch said:
It is the truth when it comes to cleaning finds. Method depends on the type of metal and condition, so without seeing what you have, and knowing your expectation, it's impossible to say.
Patch ...is that you holding the pichers sign?



Yeah, that was in my younger days when I was a real looker.
 
R.R......Try a fine , soft bristled brass brush for run of the mill relics. You will find them at the hardware or building store for a buck or two. They really work well at revealing detail without scratching up the metal surface.
These are the little wood handled ones...just larger than a toothbrush.
 
Crushed walnut shells dry in a tumbler. Works great. Pick them up at your local pet store...bird cage litter.
 
DKinPA said:
Ammonia, dish soap, water and gravel in a Harbor Freight rock tumbler...........the same way I clean my other pennies and clad coins. Works as well as anything else I've ever tried.

HH

Dave

How much ammonia do you use?
 
Check out my post a couple down "my wheat's" .. Best I found to keep them the right color without scratches or corrosion from chemicals..
 
I use a very small "splash" of ammonia............don't know if it even adds to the cleaning, read about it on the forum somewhere.

Dave
 
Hot sauce from Taco Bell, works everytime
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom