How do i get a hold of Eisenhower dollars ?

Aug 11, 2013
Newport RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,
I see Eisenhower dollars are really difficult to come across? I asked a few banks if they could order some and they all said "well if we put a order in for dollars we will get the presidential ones, we can't pick the Eisenhower dollars"

Has anyone order these from banks? I don't want them fro ebay, to expensive.

Any thoughts ?

Ha I wrote Eisenhower half dollars !

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, good luck getting some Eisenhower half dollars!!! :laughing9:
On a more serious note, it is possible to order IKES(Eisenhower dollars) from banks, however many banks have no clue that they can order them or simply can't, at least from my understanding. I know some folks on here get orders of ikes each week but i don't know the details, maybe they can fill you in on how to do so. I think having a good relationship with a bank really helps with the ordering process.. I think some banks actually have to call in the order directly with Garda, Brinks, Loomis, Dunbar, etc. not entirely sure though.
I hope you are able to get some ikes though, let us know how it pans out!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a teller tel me if they ever get ikes in they keep em- ok then

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across about 140 in ikes last month, cycled through them. Kept a few. Same bank, dropped off in piles of 70 on two different weeks.

pannerman

Jul 11, 2013
Sacramento, Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember getting these way back. I HATED them! They are like $2 bills--- only seem rare as everyone keeps them. If I come across one, I'll PM you and you can have it for the face value....

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just ask for them when I ask for halves. People cash them in just like the halves although they aren't as commonly seen. I never know when I will find them. I've probably been through several thousand that I pick up whenever they have them. So far I've found five silver Ike's and one silver Canadian. No Morgan, peace or ASE yet.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a few now and then...never any good ones. I not sure why I keep them. BTW I am a Newporter. Born and Raised on Thames Street, Rogers High class of 1982.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right up there with my 1970 Franklin half, the Eisenhower half dollar is one of the rarest coins in all existence.

Man 50 you got a killa collection

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Just keep asking - you might get lucky and find a bank that will order them for you. Good luck, I've never talked any into it.

Maine_Jim

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had the desire to search ikes i am sure some of my banks could hook me up but i don't feel like dealing with the hassle of dumping them. others might second my opinion but i never would consider searching bags of ikes unless there were still plenty of 90%ers(morgan/peace dollars) out there.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had a bank last week offer me like $200-$300 in Ikes that some kid dropped off. I thought about it for a second and decided not too, since the teller already made it abundantly clear that he was a sniper. Chances are the kid found a way to order bags of Ikes and was just dumping them anyway. It's a shame you aren't closer to me, you could go grab them. That's the second time I've turned down $100+ stashes of Ikes. I have no interest in dumping that many Ikes. I usually take them if they have 10 or less and use them to annoy cashiers.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get bags of 100 its a waste of time. The head teller can order them they have to like you a lot trust me. It hard to get them there ordered from a diff company.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
My WF branch said they can order Ikes during Thanksgiving and Christmas. That's just what they said. I'd buy those Ikes from your bank and look for the varieties.

OP
OP
N
Aug 11, 2013
Newport RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy for your help! Ill let you know how I make out. I'm gonna call around to the feds and see if it is possible for banks to do so. Maybe take down the name and number of a person who says we can, drop it off to the bank and say "yes actually you can order them, I talk to so and so, here order them for me, I don't want to pay the shipping and handling"

Ha one bank actually said that I could order them myself. "anyone can" she said LOUD and Clear. I bet shipping and handling will be a pretty penny

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guy for your help! Ill let you know how I make out. I'm gonna call around to the feds and see if it is possible for banks to do so. Maybe take down the name and number of a person who says we can, drop it off to the bank and say "yes actually you can order them, I talk to so and so, here order them for me, I don't want to pay the shipping and handling"

Ha one bank actually said that I could order them myself. "anyone can" she said LOUD and Clear. I bet shipping and handling will be a pretty penny

I like your plan captainrick. You spoke to the feds, they do have them available, so order them up bank lady. I wouldn't mention the whole shipping cost issue though.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called the Fed branch once here and they said if you aren't a banking institution they will not talk to you about anything.

OP
OP
N
Aug 11, 2013
Newport RI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks twiasp. After researching I found the same thing.

FRB: How can I obtain a specific series note or coin?
which reads,

To obtain a specific note or coin, we recommend you contact the institution you bank with to see if it will honor your request. Federal Reserve Banks provide currency only to depository institutions, which then distribute it to members of the public.

Once I get my hands on a lot of these coins EISENHOWERS FOR EVERYONE!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions