how do you recover coins using a large knife?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i've read that some folks like to use a large survival knife to recover objects. can you explain exactly how you do it? i'd like to learn how to extract coins in a somewhat surgical manner (without a shovel of any kind).

the soil here ranges from sandy, to loam with rocks, to hard packed clay like stuff. we get two types of grass, regular ole sod with lots of interconnecting roots and that stuff that they use on golf courses.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many methods. The pic is from the Tesoro handbook. Helps to set the plug if you cut one on a piece of plastic so you can pour all the dirt back in the hole.

Attachments

• fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 218
  • fillholes (Small).jpg
    fillholes (Small).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 212

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually try and use the screwdriver for shallow coins and a plug for deeper ones.If you can practice and get good at using the screwdriver to recover targets it works well for manicured lawns.....

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I used to use a heavy duty knife like a military K-bar or bayonet. But these day you have to be careful depending on where you are hunting. People are not going to like seeing anyone using a knife to dig plugs at a school or park. I have since switched to a trowel. Use a high quality SS version and keep it sharp. Some even can saw roots.

Jeff

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful when using a screwdriver - it's very easy to put nasty scratches on the coin. Especially sad if it turns out to be a great oldie!
Cheers,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread