Beach sifting

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, I am interested in doing some kind of sand sifting on an area beach...Not sure of the details, has anyone ever done anything like this before??? Are there devices made for this, or has anyone ever made some such thing??? Not sure if it would be hand operated, or pulled by a vehicle...I saw a beach cleaning machine, and talked to the guy running it, he said he has found some interesting stuff over the years.....It looked kinda like a rake, or comb...Thanks for any ideas, Tom

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have never done it, but would assume that it would need to be pulled by a vehicle in order to cover a lot of ground in a little bit of time. I could be wrong though. I have only detected beaches. Some of the "beach experts" here on the forum would probably have better answers than I do. It is a good thought, though. Let us know what you find out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a neat book out called BEACHCOMBER'S HANDBOOK By Warren Merkitch. He describes how to build a beach sifter and use it to the best advantage. Also covers many hints and tips on how to read a beach. This is good reading for detector users too.

I've still got my sifter and couldn't move it ten feet through the dry sand anymore. Getting old sucks........

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
There is a neat book out called BEACHCOMBER'S HANDBOOK By Warren Merkitch. He describes how to build a beach sifter and use it to the best advantage. Also covers many hints and tips on how to read a beach. This is good reading for detector users too.

I've still got my sifter and couldn't move it ten feet through the dry sand anymore. Getting old sucks........

Wow, would love to hear about your sifter, and what you might have found with it...Thanks for the heads up on the book...And YES, getting older does suck....Tom

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have seen people try various contraptions. The general consensus is that, to get through any meaningful amount of sand, you'd have to have a motorized/mechanized contraption. Might as well buy a beach cleaner machine that they sell to municipalities for crowd cleanup ::)

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
I have seen people try various contraptions. The general consensus is that, to get through any meaningful amount of sand, you'd have to have a motorized/mechanized contraption. Might as well buy a beach cleaner machine that they sell to municipalities for crowd cleanup ::)

Well that is out of the question, was just curious after seeing one of those big things if anyone had tried their luck at it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread