How do you store your coin stash?

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Well I was sitting here debating upon what I was going to do with my silver/wheats, that i have been accumulating up until now they have just been sitting on my desk but I can see how that will become a problem sometime in the future. I suppose I could put them in one of the coin boxes I have, but figured that wouldn't be near as fun as having a special trinket box or something.

What do you guys do for storage? Tackle boxes? Rubbermaid? Wooden treasure chest? Cardboard coin box?

Just trying to get some ideas so i can figure out how to handle mine :icon_king:

Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my silver and wheats in plastic Rubbermaid containers. Not sure if this will be good for the long run........ :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Seagates

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
Ah, yes that is also a valid point. I don't want to use something that will destroy the numismatic potential value of the coins either (I've heard that some type of plastic does this, pvc?).

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the halves, I use regular paper $10 half wrappers that you can get from most any bank...I roll them and store them in the bank ($25) penny boxes double stacked....eighteen rolls on the bottom row and eighteen rolls on the top row for a total of 36 rolls or 720 halves per box.

I then use duct tape to secure the top, bottom and sides. The box is then labeled with a permanent marker so I know if it is 40% or 90% halves. I do not store the Franklin's or Walkers this way....this is just for the Kennedy's.

Sure can't beat the price of the wrappers and boxes....lol.

If you want to keep a coin for numismatic value, this is not the route to go.

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I store my BOOTY in a chest. :icon_pirat:

Attachments

• chest.jpg
    chest.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 665

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I roll my wheats in normal paper wrappers, label them, and then put them into a normal penny box. Same thing with my pre-60 nickels. For silver, I'm just keeping it in a lockbox until I've got enough money saved up to buy a treasure chest. :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I have some wooden display boxes where I put my newest finds but I have filled them up and placed allot of my coins in a fireproof/waterproof safe. Eventually when that fills up, I might have to do safe deposit box or something.

Golden Silver

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've been getting skunked on so many boxes as of late that I don't have to worry about storing the silver. Out of 8 boxes this week, I scored 2 40%. Woo Hoo! But to answer your question, I hoard the silver in one of my treasure chests and when the silver goes high, the silver is sold. In turn, I buy gold with the profits. The gold does not get sold. Nothing quite as cool for a guy than to have a chest of gold.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess my ziplocks in the freezer isn't such a good idea?! :D

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
silvercop said:
hey shake n bake open up that box and show us what is inside

It's about a 1/3 of the way full of wheats. I have three of them and my goal is to fill them all with wheats. My silver (little that I find) goes into a floor safe. When its full I will be sure to post some pics.

DON'T BE EYEBALLING MY BOOTY :wink:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wheats I toss in a wood cigar box - its about 95% full though so Im looking for another one.
Rosie dimes, 90% Ken, & 40% kens go to seperate ziploc bags that then get locked in my gun cabinet (its bolted to the studs in the wall). All the older coins that I find gets put into the plastc coin tubes then directly to my safe (its bolted down so don't get any ideas... >:( ;D ).

It would be cool to have a treasure chest but I live in a garden apartment and I'm paranoid about people breaking in as my windows are all ground level so I'de rather lock them up.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will follow, " I do not know how to write her name", advise to storage the halves.

DW

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack_Mightyheart said:
Darth Walker said:
I will follow, " I do not know how to write her name", advise to storage the halves.

DW

Uhh....what?

I think he means "LJ" - ;D

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
LJ said:
For the halves, I use regular paper $10 half wrappers that you can get from most any bank...I roll them and store them in the bank ($25) penny boxes double stacked....eighteen rolls on the bottom row and eighteen rolls on the top row for a total of 36 rolls or 720 halves per box.

I then use duct tape to secure the top, bottom and sides. The box is then labeled with a permanent marker so I know if it is 40% or 90% halves. I do not store the Franklin's or Walkers this way....this is just for the Kennedy's.

Sure can't beat the price of the wrappers and boxes....lol.

If you want to keep a coin for numismatic value, this is not the route to go.

Now that's funny LJ. I can only Imagine!

Why wouldn't you just use the Half Dollar boxes. Unless the reason is the size of the Safety deposit boxes.

And when I say "Safety Deposit Boxes" (plural) I'll bet you may have filled a few up.!

Mojo

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Since Treasurefiend brought up the dimes, I use old mahogany cigar boxes. The dimes are stored in the glass cigar tubes. Pretty cool to open a beautiful cigar box only to see gleaming tubes of silver.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Diver_Down said:
Since Treasurefiend brought up the dimes, I use old mahogany cigar boxes. The dimes are stored in the glass cigar tubes. Pretty cool to open a beautiful cigar box only to see gleaming tubes of silver.

That sounds really cool. Right now I'm keeping my finds spread out all over the dining room table.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread