How many cannons were found from the Atocha?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This site claims [all] 20 cannon were recovered.

There have also been smaller swivel guns/versos recovered, but varying accounts of how many (4 to 8).

I doubt they have all of the everything from the Santa Margarita. It broke up in the surf and so far only a 23 foot long hull section has been located and recorded since 1980. It's spread over a much wider area and the general whereabouts known and bits salvaged since the 1620's. How much was already found or remains to be found hasn't been tallied up that I can find in a quick looksee.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheStoryTeller

TheStoryTeller

Greenie
Jan 10, 2022
This site claims [all] 20 cannon were recovered.

There have also been smaller swivel guns/versos recovered, but varying accounts of how many (4 to 8).

I doubt they have all of the everything from the Santa Margarita. It broke up in the surf and so far only a 23 foot long hull section has been located and recorded since 1980. It's spread over a much wider area and the general whereabouts known and bits salvaged since the 1620's. How much was already found or remains to be found hasn't been tallied up that I can find in a quick looksee.
Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread