How many people have just started Coin Collecting.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend most of my collecting time looking for em.once inna while I get to collect one..:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about my sad "clad" collection? :laughing7:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have been MD'ing for many years, but just started this week to coin collect in the sense I am organizing my silver, cataloging it and starting to actually educate myself on dates, mint marks, errors, etc. I bought a couple books, some storage flips and picked up $500 or so in halves to search.

I primarily plan to acquire my coins via MD'ing.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been MD'ing for many years, but just started this week to coin collect in the sense I am organizing my silver, cataloging it and starting to actually educate myself on dates, mint marks, errors, etc. I bought a couple books, some storage flips and picked up $500 or so in halves to search.

I primarily plan to acquire my coins via MD'ing.

I have recently picked up coin collecting as a hobby and I'm mainly interested in us coins and also just building up my own coin collection.

Sounds like a good plan guys , Good Luck.
Davers

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started buying silvers over the last year or so. Have 23 Morgans ( only 1 is CC ), 2 Peace's, 6 Eagles, a nice seated half, capped bust half dime, various small silvers and a few British silvers. I will buy just about any that I can get at a decent price. I only do it as an investment....not a serious hobby.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some silver, I have had some of it since I was a little kid, other pieces I have gotten thru the years. Nothing is in plastic squares, just wrapped up. It is what I find or run across, not purchased. I'm more of a hoarder than a collector, lack of time to sort and put away correctly. That may or may not change at some future point in time.
I would like to have a hoard of gold coins! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some silver, I have had some of it since I was a little kid, other pieces I have gotten thru the years. Nothing is in plastic squares, just wrapped up. It is what I find or run across, not purchased. I'm more of a hoarder than a collector, lack of time to sort and put away correctly. That may or may not change at some future point in time.
I would like to have a hoard of gold coins! :laughing7:

You sound A-lot like me.
There is a fine line between collecting & Hoarding.
I do much of both..
Got Sooo much Stuff ,that it all sometimes drives me crazy.

Like You I've had some coins since I was little (mostly common Wheat's Dateless Buff's)
but in the last 2+ years I have started buying coins , I started after digging a Capped Bust Dime & Half Dime Then a Month later a VF 1839 Seated Liberty.
I first started buying Junk Silver Coins (tho I hate the term) mostly Mercury Dimes then as I came across a little extra money Started buying Certain Type Coins That Appealed to me(95% were silver coins).
I have not bought any Silver Dollars , except 1 2008 Silver Eagle ,as it's my sons Birth Year.

I really like half Dollars Pre-Franklin , Walkers at first , but there too Common and except for Key dates don;t seem to appeal to me as much any more.
For some reason I don't like Proof Coins that much and prefer my older coins to be Fine + condition and have a Circulated Tone to them , brand new looking 1800 Silver Coins Just dont do it for me.

At this time i,m liking Barbers (10,25.50 Cent) cause their harder to find in F + esp, in their early Years.
but ill take any coin that has the right eye appeal .(to me.)

Don't care much for graded coins (except for high end ones) but most serious collectors get to a point to where much of their interest is in Graded & Gold Coins IMO.

Oh Well Good Day to all .
Davers

Last edited:

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a hefty start back in 1996...spent a lot of food money on coins. I started then because I kept finding older nickels in my change at work. I remember finding a 1938 Jefferson nickel...from then on I had amassed a pile of them and in the meantime had become a coin store regular. Unfortunately, I had to sell everything because work took a dive. Had to pay rent. I started to get back into it about 3-4 years ago, because a friend was hard up for cash and offered me his collection for a reasonable amount. I was already leaning toward getting back into collecting, so, I bought it. Not long after, when silver went up really good, I had cashed all the silver in from the collection I bought paying for the whole lot about 3 times over. :) I still have a bunch of miscellaneous junk left over. I'm not as into it as I was at the first though.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As a collector since childhood, I have to point out a fact of which you should "be aware".

Grading of coins is extremely subjective in higher grades. Coin dealers are going to grade a coin higher when selling to you, but lower when you attempt to sell.

The best way to offset that is to purchase slabbed and professionally graded coins from reputable grading services.

But, also be aware that these are being counterfeited today - both the packaging and the coins....

Paranoia has served me well, but NOT ALWAYS :(

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the reply's

Davers

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collected as a kid, and my grandparents used to buy me rolls of coins to fill my books, which was wild, because I wouldnt think twice about seeing a silver quarter every now and then. But I gave it up for Skateboarding....fast forward 20 years..Im back to Collecting Coins...dont care too much about Grades, as they always seem more like "Opinions"....if they are in good shape, i keep them in good shape, But i would never buy something because its GEM quality or AU.....If i buy coins, its because i want to look at them and own them...or if i can get them for amazing prices...Like every now and then i will see someone post silver coins on feebay, for WELLLLLL below spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions