I have some silver, I have had some of it since I was a little kid, other pieces I have gotten thru the years. Nothing is in plastic squares, just wrapped up. It is what I find or run across, not purchased. I'm more of a hoarder than a collector, lack of time to sort and put away correctly. That may or may not change at some future point in time.
I would like to have a hoard of gold coins!
You sound A-lot like me.
There is a fine line between collecting & Hoarding.
I do much of both..
Got Sooo much Stuff ,that it all sometimes drives me crazy.
Like You I've had some coins since I was little (mostly common Wheat's Dateless Buff's)
but in the last 2+ years I have started buying coins , I started after digging a Capped Bust Dime & Half Dime Then a Month later a VF 1839 Seated Liberty.
I first started buying Junk Silver Coins (tho I hate the term) mostly Mercury Dimes then as I came across a little extra money Started buying Certain Type Coins That Appealed to me(95% were silver coins).
I have not bought any Silver Dollars , except 1 2008 Silver Eagle ,as it's my sons Birth Year.
I really like half Dollars Pre-Franklin , Walkers at first , but there too Common and except for Key dates don;t seem to appeal to me as much any more.
For some reason I don't like Proof Coins that much and prefer my older coins to be Fine + condition and have a Circulated Tone to them , brand new looking 1800 Silver Coins Just dont do it for me.
At this time i,m liking Barbers (10,25.50 Cent) cause their harder to find in F + esp, in their early Years.
but ill take any coin that has the right eye appeal .(to me.)
Don't care much for graded coins (except for high end ones) but most serious collectors get to a point to where much of their interest is in Graded & Gold Coins IMO.
Oh Well Good Day to all .
Davers