How many Vietnam Vets Still on this site?

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lai Khe .

CaptEsteban, I remember being at your base camp for a short but I can't remember it's name right now.

Attachments

• Me & Reynolds Wrap.jpg
    Me & Reynolds Wrap.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Fubar

Apr 25, 2017
SWMO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the last several months, two 4th Infantry vets have contacted me, with one at the same time, and same places that I was, on this board.

I know there are Vietnam veterans still on this site - and our numbers are growing so much fewer - at a faster pace than the WWII vets did. I read one site which said that out of over 6m, there were only about 800k left alive as of now.

There are not very many left here. I've spent many years not talking about the war, and I'm pretty sure most have felt the same way about it. It is only in the last few years that I have felt it was a very significant part of my life. I still talk very little about it, just the minimal things.

After all, the nation didn't act like they wanted us to come home at all.

Anybody left who cares about it - Nam vets only please....

Welcome Home Brothers!!!

DeepseekerADS, You and I were in Nam about the same time! I arrived in Da Nang 9/69 to meet up with the LST-1166, Brown Water Navy. We were in direct support of Mobile Riverine Force Tango Foxtrot 117 and the Army's 9th Infantry Div. Oh and Cambodia, shhhhhh! we weren't suppose to be there! 8-) Can't believe after I got out of the Navy I joind the Army....That's why I'm FUBAR!!! :BangHead:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/41 Field Artillery 1973-1976 :usflag:

When I was discharged at Ft. Jackson, in October of 1976, the bathroom at the airport was FULL of discarded dress green uniforms. Most guys opted not to wear them home. I did, and even in 1976, was still shunned, spit at, and called a "corporate killer!"

Attachments

• IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0481 (3).JPG
    IMG_0481 (3).JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 91

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/41 Field Artillery 1973-1976 :usflag:

When I was discharged at Ft. Jackson, in October of 1976, the bathroom at the airport was FULL of discarded dress green uniforms. Most guys opted not to wear them home. I did, and even in 1976, was still shunned, spit at, and called a "corporate killer!"

And still ugly as hell! (time has not improved you a bit!) Terry

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The 4th was pulling back in late '70, and I was already in my second tour. So I was re-assigned to Nha Trang in probably December of '70. March 8th of '71 I was called into a conference with the Red Cross. I had no idea what it was about, but my maternal grandfather had passed.

I'd hitched for the second tour just to get out early, after all - I was now for the remainder in the resort city of Nha Trang. I had an apartment downtown and a woman quite inexpensively. I didn't do much military work anymore. With my prior experiences in the field, even the officers were very polite. So I had it made at the end, didn't do nuthing :)

And I had almost two months left there.

The Red Cross guy asked me if I wanted to go home.

"Huh"

"Well, do you want to go home?"

22 hours later I was on a plane heading across the ocean :)

The world sure changed and I was finally completely free. All the things I shipped home never arrived. All I had was my dress uniform, and that burned up when Mom's house burned down in '72

Came away with nothing but memories and my DD-214.

And of course now my VA Medical Card :)

At this point in life, that has been the most important of all!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I may be a little late in responding,but I was there.u.s.n. Coral Sea cva-43 in 69/70

If you haven't checked off, you're not too late. ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread