How much do you talk about Metal Detecting?

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been at it a year now and have pretty much become the metal detecting guy to my friends, co-workers, and family. People at work ask me every Monday if I found anything interesting over the weekend, and I've even convinced 2 guys to get detectors and go out to parks after work with me a few times.

Do you guys kinda do the same or do you keep it to yourself?

On one hand I'd like to keep it to myself because obviously more competition for spots is bad, but on the other hand I can't shut my mouth :tongue3:

Upvote 0
Talk up metal-detecting EVERYWHERE you go. A great way to develop leads! TTC

Very true. I have 4 people at work who have invited me to detect their old houses. Gotta make time, but definitely plan to do it. 2 of them sound really promising too!

This. Even if these folks may never buy a detector, some of them may own older properties. They've already expressed interest in your hobby. You're past the tough part of gaining permission to hunt. Heck, they might even invite you without being asked.

I talk about it all the time too. I don't necessarily try to convert people into the hobby, but taking about it can lead to new hunting areas.

Lol I talk about it like a drug but I don't spill the beans loose lips sink ships lol :)

Especially when it's been a few days since iv gone I'll go crazy lol stupid rain stop raining

When I was younger I'd was so passionate at what I was doing it's all I ever talked about!
(Surfing)! I burned a few people out on the subject!
Since I've grown older and now that I MD, I've learned I can be passionate but generally
I just keep my mouth shut!:laughing7:

The only one who one wants to talk MD'g with me is my grandson and we hunt together every chance we get. Otherwise, no one else is much interested.

Well, I'm the "nut" in the family, the only one who MD's sooo, their eyes do glass over at times when I'm talking about it.
I have discussed it with the police officer that patrols the schools, he wants to get one. I have also talked to the physical therapist about it, he got his 9 yr. old one for Christmas, I also told him about T Net!
So ya, I can't keep my mouth shut! He he he !

I've been at it a year now and have pretty much become the metal detecting guy to my friends, co-workers, and family. People at work ask me every Monday if I found anything interesting over the weekend, and I've even convinced 2 guys to get detectors and go out to parks after work with me a few times.

Do you guys kinda do the same or do you keep it to yourself?

On one hand I'd like to keep it to myself because obviously more competition for spots is bad, but on the other hand I can't shut my mouth :tongue3:

Your story is exactly the same as mine!

When I was younger I'd was so passionate at what I was doing it's all I ever talked about!
(Surfing)! I burned a few people out on the subject!
Since I've grown older and now that I MD, I've learned I can be passionate but generally
I just keep my mouth shut!:laughing7:
.. The same with me i never talk about it now a days …. I have not talked about it for years now..the only place i talk about it is on the treasure web sites…..But on treasure sites i never tell or post pictures on them either……………… I think that things in the treasure hunting business is best kept to one's self………………... Most people think we are weird …. BUT if they only knew what i have found in the last 40 years….. They would be running out to buy a detector….. But with me i never tell so they will never know .

I talk about it a lot ore now that I'm actually going MDing more,I think my friends are probably rolling their eyes in their head,lol.

LOL coily talks nonstop about anything!

I've heard it on good authority that you sometimes talk about me in your sleep

I run my gator a lot on 'tecting. Everyone I know, knows I go dirt fishing and surf hunting. They are always interested in what I find.

Most folks just like to hear about it, they don't intend to spend the money, or time, actually going out and doing it. Those with the desire are already digging holes.

My only problem Is Getting An Extra day off when its Nice out The Boss Knows About the Metal Detecting Problem I Have, Its nice out And I Need to call in Sick Soon!!!! Cough Cough I have the Flu!!! Chug

Only if someone ask will I talk about it.....

But I have found Spending time with those that really enjoy and share the same idea's can be a learning experience and a Great time. I do my little trips once every year to visit forum members, all now...Good Friends
Connecticut Pirates
OBN0149.jpg

I am always reminding people I am on the lookout for new places. Several people at work ask me every week what I have found. I even discovered many either have detectors or want one. No one else is as passionate about it though. When I first started, I made flyers asking people for leads and posted them on bulletin boards at work. Just last week an avid hunter told me of an old stone foundation in the woods and says he will keep his eye out for more. He says he'd love to detect but it would take away time from his fishing tournaments, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back