HOW MUCH HAVE YOU FOUND LEFT IN A COIN MACHINE?

CLZinTX

Oct 1, 2007
I find it interesting what people leave in these coin machines. I'm one of the few people I know that will pick up a penny. People that leave money in these machines are either not very attentive or just dont care.

Here are my three best finds over the last couple of years:

$15.00 + Machine jammed and they walked away. Asked the cashier to fix the machine and got a pleasant surprise.

$6.83 Rejected coin slot was full to the top.

$1.03 However of this, there were 50 wheat pennies in the rejected slot.

These were my best "Coin Machine" finds.

Lets hear yours.

CLZinTX

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
ME best was a '56 Rosie. Found a small handfull of pennies and nickels once that were covered with something like grape jelly- I ran the ones I could get apart through the machine and left the rest.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
best find was a 48 dime and a 18 wheat with some lose.
What I like is every time I turn in just halves I get a total like $5,353.48...so where did the 48 come from? generally turns out I end up with an extra few cents to a few dollars in what was knocked lose by the halves. Best was an additional 12$ and some odd cents. Today got me an extra $3.46

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I once found $8 in quarters in the coin return. My biggest score was when the machine jamed and the woman was doing all kinds of things to get it to work. It worked out pretty well as I came out $60 ahead on my ticket!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Makes up for all the times I was short changed!

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I found $22.75 in quarters in the coin slot of a vending machine once. Always made it a habit of cruising the piers checking all the vending machines daily .. you'd be suprised at what people leave behind or drop under and don't want to go after, not to mention the occasional paper money find... anyways walked up to it, I pushed on the little door on the coin return and it was stiff, I pushed harder and heard a few quarters fall into the machine from a bit higher than the slot, so I looked and it was crammed tight with quarters. I carefully tried to open it but knocked a few more into the machine and started carefully digging them out,... and digging and digging....

when all was said and done I have a heaping handfull and pocketfull of quarters.... and I reflect the sentiments posted above, makes up for all the times the bastard machines ripped me off!!! Funny thing is, there was another guy who'd do the same thing, but he is kind of a poser.. he would jam on the brakes and damned near flip the golf cart to pick up a penny but if one of his homies was around he'd act like 'I cant believe you are stopping for coins', rolling his eyes, like it was beneath him type of thing. Well sure enough I was the driver that day and stopped to check the machine, him and his buddy chuckles the clown are making all kinds of comments, chucking it up, then I start pulling out heaps of quarters. They got real quiet when I started shoving handfulls into my pockets. then to top it off, I stop at the next set of machines and come around the back of the machine bay with a$5.00 bill that probably fell out of someones pocket and blew behind there.

I looked at them, especially the chameleon and said, oh I bet you wish you weren't trying to show off for your little butt buddy there, all smug full of bull$#% cost you some cash this time parnell didn't it??? At which point I turned to the other guy in the cart who wasn't playing the game and said, hey, lets go to mcdonalds for lunch, im buying with the money I found, .. I like to share my wealth when I get lucky.....

funny thing is, they never made comments again when I went coin hunting the machines.

You want to laugh at me, go right ahead, Ill laugh right with you, but don't 'race' me to the machine one day to find coins and then pretend you wouldn't ever do such a thing the next because you are in different company. people like that are not worth my time and I let them know plain and simple what pathetic POS' I think they are.
Aaron

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Everytime I walk by a pay phone I always check the coin return. My wife just rolls her eyes. Old habits are hard to break.

Rosco Bookbinder

May 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250. Are there others?
I went into my bank one day to use the lobby coin counter. While running the coins I put my hand in the return. Pictures below. Not sure why the wheats were rejected but those along with the other coins was a nice find..........I checked the coin star at Fredy Meyer today. Natha.......

Attachments

• from_the_coin_return(1).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(1).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 344
  • from_the_coin_return(2).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(2).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 334
  • from_the_coin_return(3).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(3).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 348
  • from_the_coin_return(1).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(1).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 349
  • from_the_coin_return(2).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(2).jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 352
  • from_the_coin_return(3).jpg
    from_the_coin_return(3).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 351

cs15

Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
Almost every time that I dump my halves in the Coinstar machine at the credit union it will unjam a couple of Canadian coins. Must be when those big halves get in the machine it knocks up all stuck coins in it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!
Last week I found 12 pennies in the coinstar. One of which was a 1927.

Happy Hunting!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cs15 said:
Almost every time that I dump my halves in the Coinstar machine at the credit union....
I sure hope you are not paying coinstar fees at your credit union. >:(
If you are there has to be nearby banks that will take your coins for free.

Last year I found one bank, several miles from my home that had a coinstar type machine in their lobby. They wanted to charge their customers 2-3% I told them they could "go pound sand" ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got this cat face copper slug in change from a self-serve Home Depot yesterday. :D Its about dime size.

Attachments

• MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 181

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread