How often do you think CRHs miss silver?

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do you think CRH's miss silver?

Went through $310 worth of halves today and it was obviously someones dump. It was marked and each roll had a coin with a red slash through it. But I got lucky and found a 64' that I almost missed . I had put it down and then thought that edge looked funny so upon further inspection my hunch was right! So my question is just a general one how often do you folks find silver in a searched number of halves already?? Thanks!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would imagine my margin for error is way below 1% with my 20/20 vision :)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only gotten one obvious dump and found no silver. Usually if another CRH missed it it means I have a good chance of missing it too. I once went to check a dime in a roll that looked weird, and the next one to it was a merc. I never would've seen it from the side.

Strange though, usually '64s stand out pretty damn well. I could pick one out from 100 yards away with al gore's mother standing in front of me. could you explain what the side looked like? just dark?

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i hear about it here all the time. i've never been so lucky.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost missed a Ben once! Edge searched a box, then went through it later lookin for dbl dies, and didn't even see it the second time til I got right to it in the roll. It was really dirty and didn't look like silver at all from the edge.

My eye is much better trained now... I once saw a silver dime on the floor next to a Coinstar machine literally from about 75 yards away, and told my son, "look, there's a silver dime right there!" Sure enough, '52 Roosie.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't do alot of volume, like me, I only search 2 to 4 boxes a week, then I would definetly look at the dates too, not just edge search.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found two silver halves from obvious CRHer dumps. One 40%er and a Franklin. Both had really dirty dark edges.

OP
OP
Chimacum87

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-3841346386.jpg

There is the dirty 64' it kinda looked like clad at first glance but silver i did the sound test and its positive .

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would have punched me in the face if i was edge checking. If it looks dirty check it. If you dont see the obvious copper line check it. the coin you show has no copper showing so im not sure how anyone would miss aside from being blind. i still have yet to see a 40% that is tuff to see. i have seen 40% that appear to look different but i would never miss them because of that very reason.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know i miss one here and there its all good. Next time!!! I edge check and sound. And i do find a missed coin now and then!!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a 40% that has the normal clad cherry red but the silver still really stuck out. I check two to three coins per roll that look just a little bit dirty or off and have never pulled one out that I was unsure about that turned up to be silver. The silver to me is always so different from the clad. Dimes are another story though

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've missed a couple of 40%ers, two separate occasions. But luckily, TD's coin counter spit them out and I was able to reclaim them.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I miss any, my method is pretty fool proof and the eyes and ears get trained after hundreds of thousands.

HH
Bigheed

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that I was going through a box of nickels and at the end I noticed I accidently threw a war nickel in the dump box. Well going through all of them, I found two war nickels (one I dropped and one I missed). Now for halves, its probably more unlikely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread