What's new

How old is this tin box ?

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And what is a good way to remove the purple paint ?
I got it at a barn sale $2

it's over 18 " long , 4 " deep with 3 compartments .
I was wondering how old ? What was it for ?

I'm not sure if the strap is original . The wood handle looks like it might be ?

Thanks for any info !!
 

Attachments

  • Picture 135.webp
    Picture 135.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Picture 133.webp
    Picture 133.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 371
  • Picture 134.webp
    Picture 134.webp
    51 KB · Views: 357
  • Picture 135.webp
    Picture 135.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 366
  • Picture 135.webp
    Picture 135.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 357
You can find all kinds of paint stripper at hardware stores, I would take it in with you and ask which one they would recommend. As far as what it was used for I would guess a fishing rod case for a fly fishing set up. (WAG) Neat find, maybe when you get the paint off of it you will be able to find some markings on it.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
Nice Id Savant! Fly Fishing is my niche and I would most definetly say it was a fly rod case for either a 3-5 piece bamboo set -up with a storage spot for the reel. Pretty cool.. If you can tell me the maker mark I'll tell you a bit about them as well. It should be stamped somewhere on the case. Older fly rods would come with spare tips too, depending on the weight of line you may be using you would use a different tip. The tips would be classified in "speed" Fast Med, and slow. Manufactures would use actual gemstones in the stripping guides and tips...Quality Fly rod builders are actualy going back to them.. If I had to guess I would say your box is from the 30-50's era..great find. Here is an older wooden case I found.
 

Attachments

  • thumbnailCAHRG8Q1.webp
    thumbnailCAHRG8Q1.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
Is purple the original paint?
 
Upvote 0
I agree, it's fly fishing rod/tackle box. How is it fastened together? I see rivets in the hinge. Is the rest soldered, crimped? I would say '20s-early'40s without knowing the answer. Tony
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Is purple the original paint?
No , I see traces of black under it . It is all soldered cept for the rivets on the hinges .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom