How to dig Items with a SHOVEL !! whats your opinion

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think he's got it down Gary!:icon_thumright:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me glad i grew up using and mastered using a scoop.

The first and main thing that comes to mind when i see people using leches and shovels is...

Who wants to bend over that much.

Then i think... why go through that much digging and also such a large hole.

Shorter the tool... the more ya bend and work.

With everyone wanting and trying to make metal detecting "easier" with detectors that "see" what the are digging before they dig it...

they sure have gone the other direction in digging the item. heh

Last edited:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice video Gare.

That guy looks familiar. Too bad we didn't get footage the prior weekend.

Yeah being neat is a top priority. Its ruins the hobby and will get you kicked out of a site quickly.

Be back at it again soon.

Jer

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a trenching shovel cut down 6"?8". 36" D handle. No back bending and smaller hole!
Makes me glad i grew up using and mastered using a scoop.

The first and main thing that comes to mind when i see people using leches and shovels is...

Who wants to bend over that much.

Then i think... why go through that much digging and also such a large hole.

Shorter the tool... the more ya bend and work.

With everyone wanting and trying to make metal detecting "easier" with detectors that "see" what the are digging before they dig it... they sure have gone the other direction in digging the item. lol

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watching vids of many who use these small shovels and lesches or whatever the frig they call em... (or why) for what i would call a "belly / knee" shovel... AKA a "trench shovel"... which i have experience using in my youth... pre all these new "fixed" "cool looking" versions.

I can say... if you enjoy "working out" while you detect... these are the tools for you.

I get enough of a workout using a scoop let alone adding a whole bunch more physicality to it.

And... i might add... they are also WAY slower to use... by far.

I have detected beside users of these... the ratio has got to be 2 to 1... meaning... i have dug 2 targets to their one in the same amount of time.

And on a smooth roll i think i could say that would be 3 to 1.

Kick and flip... recover... rarely do i set anything (detector or scoop) down... unless i have that pesky eluding item...

and rarely do i ever bend over to pick something up... let alone to dig a target.

I can pick a penny off a frogs arse without disturbing the frog using only my scoop... this is something i take great pride in trying to do...

And sure beats the bends.. and kneeling and the "up and down"... "up and down".... "up and down".........."up and down".

Not to mention all the wrestling and crawling and knees... and ... and... and...

:P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a trenching shovel cut down 6"?8". 36" D handle. No back bending and smaller hole!

So... you are smart... experienced ... AND it shows. :)

Last edited:

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
In the video very big holes for small targets. My holes would be half that diameter or less. Maybe my detector or technique is able to locate the target more closely so a big hole is not so necessary. My hinge would be about equal to the hole diameter which makes a stronger hinge more likely to regrow quickly. And big holes are more attractive to digging animals like skunks who I have had visit my sites after I had been there. For sensitive sites, I try to get back a few days later for a check. In a few instances the skunks had dug up many of my holes, making me look like a sloppy detectorist. I refilled them all, of course, but if I had not gone back the person who gave me permission likely would not have wanted me back.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This guy is digging manhole size plugs to recover a small object. Maybe if he took the time to learn how to pinpoint more accurately he could dig targets with a small digging tool. Many times with a shovel you still end up kneeling down anyway so you're not saving any time or wear and tear on your body. Plus....you have to carry the shovel around with you which to me is just more of a hassle than anything else.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've got a scoop that I bought from Kellyco in the 1980's. It has maybe 50 hours on it, total. You won't catch me with a shovel in the Denver city parks. I use a lesche 99.9% of the time. I dug 128 coins plus all the trash in less then 3 hours last time out. Yes, I get my exercise!
Scoops are for the beach and I'm landlocked.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a scoop that I bought from Kellyco in the 1980's. It has maybe 50 hours on it, total. You won't catch me with a shovel in the Denver city parks. I use a lesche 99.9% of the time. I dug 128 coins plus all the trash in less then 3 hours last time out. Yes, I get my exercise!
Scoops are for the beach and I'm landlocked.

Depends on the scoop... :)

These weak flimsy ones that are all the rave now would never hold up.

I will add... and some may have heard me say this before...

There is a specific tool for each and every job... and sometimes more than one.

The scoop i use can wail through it all with speed that cannot be achieved by any other tool... and i have used / tried them ALL.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And big holes are more attractive to digging animals like skunks who I have had visit my sites after I had been there. For sensitive sites, I try to get back a few days later for a check. In a few instances the skunks had dug up many of my holes, making me look like a sloppy detectorist. I refilled them all, of course, but if I had not gone back the person who gave me permission likely would not have wanted me back.

Anytime a person digs a hole or disturbs the soil, every critter
that passes by is going to stop and check it out, especially if fresh
dirt is left exposed.

Coyotes, fox, skunk, 'coons and others will generally dig at the
spot of the fresh dirt, thinking there's chow underground or buried
there.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could, I'd use a small shovel, but only some of the time, depending the site.
Pinpointing the target and using smaller tools is my technique.
I keep the dirt in my scoop, or on a rag, so no loss of dirt, on the lawn -
use a green hinge, and always tamp/STOMP the plug...!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shovels are for private/fields/bush no attention getting.

He still left dirt/sand around the hole in one of the digs/ why expand the hole in another?

Dig in the public leave no trace-period.
Throw the grub/worms away from the hole-free meal for the nights dinner guests the like to redig the plug.

Survival rate for a larger plug is better at certain times.

More than once cop drives up-got report of someone digging up the park with a shovel.
Well if you call my hunting knife a shovel-then that was me.
I get down on the knees, no problem popping back up.

Now it's fields/bush D handled Garrett cut down blade, petals for the foot.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So pepper... your a "lesch" guy ?

Or whatever ya call it. heh

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, I am interested in how you dig a lawn or any grassy area with a scoop. Could you post a video or even pictures of your scoop and the technique you use? I hunt plowed fields 99% of the time and it doesn't even matter whether I cover my hole up or not but I do cover them out of habit from earlier years when I hunted public parks. Now that I am up in age and have some lower back problems I am very interested in any technique that would keep me from getting down and back up.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So pepper... your a "lesch" guy ?

Or whatever ya call it. heh
I won one for getting a 1858 20 cent piece. Wore out one of those Gators a detecting company in Orlando sells.
Returned it the next season going through, now that was a hour I'll never get back in my life. The second one didn't last a season, total garbage..
I did the screwdriver method for a decade or two, then a big old hunting knife.
Start waving that around in the dirt folks kept the distance.
Don't park hunt now, so it's all shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread