How to read markings on a really rough coin.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I think is a coin in a field. It is a little bigger than a quarter and kind of thin. I have it soaking in olive oil right now but am not very hopeful it will help much. I can see some letters around the rim but can't make them out. I was thinking maybe drying it off and using white chalk to see if I can read any of the letters. I can take a photo but my camera is not the best with the close ups. Does anybody have any ideas?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes when they are oily or wet, if you hold them up to the light and look at them from the side with a magnifying glass you can make out some of the letters.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just soaking a coin doesn't always work. That why I use my ultrasonic bath with just plain water. The unit I have can heat the water up to 180°F which also helps loosen stuck-on muck.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, as stated above, holding the coin with the light at an angle will cast enought 'shadow' to make it out.

Sometimes laying a sheet of thin paper on it and rubbing a pencil or charcoal across it will make a readable image.

The problem is the lower 'background' area of a coin is harder than the raised area, so the raised area goes first.

I sometimes place coins in laundry detergent in an old 35mm case and place it in a vibrating tumbler imbedded in sand which keeps it from bouncing around.

Just some thoughts, Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a half cent, which is very close to Quarter size. I detected a half cent once crusted with dirt, I thought it was a clad quarter, when I got home and started rinsing it , I was suprised as heck.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your old coin!

Ya those type of coins are tricky to try'n read. Has to be just the right light and just the right moister, not too wet not to dry. I have a large cent that I could almost read the date on with a lot of hope and wishful thinking! It has been soaking in olive oil for years, I'm afraid to take it out. I just need to go out and find another with a readable date!

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Congrats on your old coin!

Ya those type of coins are tricky to try'n read. Has to be just the right light and just the right moister, not too wet not to dry. I have a large cent that I could almost read the date on with a lot of hope and wishful thinking! It has been soaking in olive oil for years, I'm afraid to take it out. I just need to go out and find another with a readable date!
I had an IH in olive oil for over 2 yrs. It did absolutely nothing.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lay a piece of paper over the coin.Take a nice sharp pencil and lightly rub the side of the pencil point over the part of the paper thats covering the coin,Bingo.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. here are much better photos. I did not do the back. I can see nothing on the back. 007.JPG

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I tried to bring out more contrast in Elements, but the coin is to 'dirty'. That is corroded. It needs a very mild cleaning that I described above. Frank...
z    Untitled-1.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be either an Irish 1805 George III Hibernia Halfpenny, or a British George III 1806 or 1807 Halfpenny. Even a slight amount of detail on the other side might say which.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way... you might not even have to see anything clear on the other side.... just where the corrosion is raised might be enough to say which type of coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread