What's new

How to show a live snake a real good time!

Smokey you sure have some great adventures!
 
i can relate there some times a stick can look like one and those skinks we have around here there look like a snake with legs they can scare you to death if you don't look close enough at them i may have accidentally killed a few

They sell skinks as pets in the pet stores up in NH, they are certainly weird creatures, like half snake half lizard.
 
They sell skinks as pets in the pet stores up in NH, they are certainly weird creatures, like half snake half lizard.

and they scare the living day lights out of me when i think it is a snake
 
I can’t get in and out if a kayak.
 
I had the opposite problem. I was in my canoe, paddling under a tree, when a snake dropped in for a visit.
 
I think it was a young black snake. It scurried off pretty fast.
 
They sell skinks as pets in the pet stores up in NH, they are certainly weird creatures, like half snake half lizard.

We are loaded with 'em here in southern MD. I don't really recommend keeping wild animals for pets, but these are easy. They gobble down bugs and worms. When our cats were outdoor-indoor dwellers, they would terrorize the skinks and we would see very few with their tails intact. When a cat grabs a skink, the tail drops off and vibrates like crazy, the cat then focuses on the quivering tail while the live skink slowly sneaks off unnoticed by the cat.

One of my favorite modern authors is Tim Dorsey - and he has a colorful character who goes by the name of Skink. I listened to all his books on CD from the library when I was in a vehicle all day or several hours a day. If familiar with Hiaassen, Dorsey is similar but characters' language is more "colorful".

Oh, and they are all lizard.
 
Last edited:
I had the opposite problem. I was in my canoe, paddling under a tree, when a snake dropped in for a visit.

Many snakes are excellent tree climbers. It is why I don't attach bird houses to trees. A bit unnerving to open a bird house to clean it out, reach in, and yikes!
 
Can't imagine what went through that poor snake's mind while he was fighting gravity on the way to the ground.

Many years ago, I saw a hawk swoop down on the side of the road and snatch up a snake. The snake had a look on that said, "Hey, I don't normally fly." I don't think it turned out so well for him.
 
Since this one slid off the windshield it only "fell" about 3'. Even at 35 mph it probably was not seriously hurt. It took off real fast! One less snake on the property here.
 
i shot a chicken snake in my yard this morning trying to get my blue jays eggs he was 3 ft. long
 
That was one surprised little snake. He thought he was going for a canoe ride, instead he's flying thru the air upside down and lands in a new town! ....there's a book in there somewhere!

We have an agreement,
I leave them alone, they leave me alone. Not sure what's going to happen when that rule is violated....it could get messy.



Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
 
Since my neighbor thought he saw a copperhead, which he killed, I was thinking of "hunting" them. I.E., place a half sheet of plywood down near the edge of the woods, and leave it there a few days, then lift up (using a LONG rake) and see what comes out.

On the other hand, never mind....bad idea. I think he nailed a big northern water snake as what he killed he said was 4 foot long. Copperheads around here I don't think get that big. I think they top out at 30". But you never know.

Goldboy, yes, a children's book is in order.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom