I see that most every poster failed to answer the original question
It's about without a gun, not your best weapon option

that's easy.
same as I would do if anyone walked in my house I didn't know, nod with a puzzeled look & say Hi ! what's Up ?
because I'd figure they know me, I just don't remember therm at the moment .
as for the scenario put forth in the story, I don't own a wife, burglar alarm,security cameras,garage gym, 8-year-old daughter or 1-year-old son,
so ... If I woke up & heard noises, I'd do what I do now. walk around the inside of my house trying to figure out what fell.
when I still can't find anything, if loud or continued noises, I walk outside if not freezing & walk around the house to see if
some thing come loose. still nothing, go back in to bed
If real cold, I don't even get out of bed, I just go back to sleep
and worry about it in the morning if I remember.
If confronted , I can only guess but probably nod with a puzzeled look & say Hi ! what's Up ?
because I'd figure they know me, I just don't remember therm at the moment .
Of course if they are armed & I see them first 911 & hopefully stay out of sight, at least till I find something deadly
in case they almost confront me before the cops confront them. But again all Conjecture.
I just know even though I believe in absolute freedom to own weapons, without being asked about it,
I don't personally want any.
My only hobby is Treasure Hunting,
and Live in a Non Violent world where hate & violent desperation doesn't exist
Life is just a fantasy, can you live this fantasy life?