huge coinstar total

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am a cashier at a stop and shop supermarket and once in a while people come in with their coins to dump at coinstar. Haven't seen any CRHers yet. But today someone came in with a slip with assorted coins totaling up to 520 bucks... I can't imagine how long they were saving those coins up to get that much coin but they left me with like nothing in my drawer. I guess I know how the tellers feel when we come in now lol

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the reject bin asap!

Also, be sure to ask about the reject, and offer to buy them.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for checking the reject bin it was in the middle on my shift so someone was bound to grab it and for the reject coins, its not really accepted by management to work out a deal like that while working. It looks really suspicious pocketing money that I was handed from someone else.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't sound like any fun at all.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If some brainless slob can't check the return there loss.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations jnb1994, you have just started "the most random thread of the month!".
It's an honor.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinFetcher said:
You don't sound like any fun at all.

I'm not at work to CRH and check coinstar, I'm there to do my job and get paid, I really don't need to lose my job over a couple silver coins.

TimZim said:
If some brainless slob can't check the return there loss.

I hope your not calling me a brainless slob because that's really not necessary. This happened mid shift and a bunch of other people used the machine before my lunch break. I highly doubt all those people forgot to check the coin return, especially someone with 500 bucks of coins. The return tray is metal and you can clearly hear coins when they fall. I can hear when they fall 8 registers away, so I'm pretty sure someone standing right by the machine won't forget to check it unless they are extremely lazy. So save your comments for yourself

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
conleytheking said:
Congratulations jnb1994, you have just started "the most random thread of the month!".
It's an honor.

Thanks, I appreciate it, just means that I'm that much more creative than any of you. And congratulations to you, you have just received the award for most obnoxious post of the thread. Would you like a certificate for your criticism?

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
jnb1994 said:
Thanks, I appreciate it, just means that I'm that much more creative than any of you. And congratulations to you, you have just received the award for most obnoxious post of the thread. Would you like a certificate for your criticism?

That would be lovely!
I'm not as easily flustered as you...so you're weak minded comment won't offend me ;)
Happy hunting! Or....happy thinking about looking in coin star reject bins but being too afraid to. So HTALICSRBBBTAT!!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All we are saying is that is takes brass balls to sell real estate - err - I mean hunt silver.

If you don't feel comfortable talking to the guests about something that interests you - then...so be it.

Roll a charisma modifier once you reach lvl 20, and maybe you'll get a +6 to your base stats.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to at least casually glance towards the reject bin. The last time I checked,

I got a rock

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I glance when I can, I don't make special trips to check though because out of all the times I've checked I've found two ordinary pennies and that's it. And its because I needed a manager's signature for the slip because of the amount. I'm not going to ask the customer to buy their reject coins, with a line building up and my manager standing right there. My store is kinda strict about stuff like that, for example baggers can not accept tips, if they are caught they can get into serious trouble. I don't find the risk worth the possible reward. That's just me

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey jnb, don't take any of the misplaced criticism to heart.

If you are a teller who hunts coin on the job, you get lambasted for getting paid to CRH.
If you are a retail employee who hunts coin conservatively out of respect for his/her employer, you get berated.

There is no pleasing this crowd. Just remember, the only one who can judge the right way for you to do this hobby is you.

The answer is to hunt how you like and how you are comfortable. Take notice of the cues that matter and adapt as necessary. Keep the risk where you want it to be.

That said: Not to put words into his mouth, but I think TimZim was referring to CoinStar dumpers who neglect to check the reject after they are done as brainless, not opportunist CRH'ers who neglect to check the reject when nearby. That's just my take on it though.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I glance when I can, I don't make special trips to check though because out of all the times I've checked I've found two ordinary pennies and that's it. And its because I needed a manager's signature for the slip because of the amount. I'm not going to ask the customer to buy their reject coins, with a line building up and my manager standing right there. My store is kinda strict about stuff like that, for example baggers can not accept tips, if they are caught they can get into serious trouble. I don't find the risk worth the possible reward. That's just me

Publix by chance?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread