All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Never tried it, but my brain tells me that using a digging tool around it invites Capital Punishment! I think if you just run your MD over it, you may be able to just use your hands to probe! Let us know how it goes!

HH Joe

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
waseeker said:
I have permission to hunt the local high school. There are 3 baseball fields a practice field for football and some other open space.

I agree with Joe. You have 4 ballfields and open space around the school. I've never hunted an Astroturf field but my feelings are to enjoy the permission but leave the main field alone. You might check around the bleachers and snack bar area though. JMO.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay off the Astro Turf or someone may decide to charge you with repair even though you never touched it with a tool. The edges now is where the finds would be. Uniforms don't have many pockets nor a reason to carry coins, but spectators would carry the goodies. Check where they gathered, lanes to the restrooms if on dirt, etc.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have stated my question a bit better. I have no intention of going anywhere on the field with a digging tool ;D. I just wondered if it was worth the time since there is so much non-school soccer, etc played there. But will check out the sidelines, etc.

Also, another question. With all the stories about weapons at schools and the no tolerance policies, what do ya'll use to dig on school properties? I've used my digging trowel, but have concerns it could be considered a weapon. I should also note that if I'm at an elementary school on the weekend and there is even one kid there I stay away.

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX
As far as having a digging tool at a school, I would never detect while there is a school function in progress. I have searched many schools on weekends, usuing my digging tool and not had a problem, and often there will be a police car sitting in the parking lot doing reports or what ever. Most officers have common sense, and can see that you have no bad intentions.

But never, never hunt a school while in session, at least wait until 5 or 6pm and everyone is gone if you cant wait till the weekend.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info skifisher.

I only do schools on weekends as I have plenty of other parks and sites to dig during the week.

I'll just keep on using my digging trowel until someone tells me not to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread