hunting slow, so...

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
We are dry again here in Oklahoma, hunting's not great and my hunting buddy's schedule and mine haven't been matching up, so I've had time to do some artwork. 051.JPG 054.JPG 060.JPG

The small town I live in is having an art show and sell to benefit the recycling program. They've asked for "Buffalos and Bucks" "Bucks" are the local high school mascot, you can see it on the monitor. My work-in-progress is going to be a small relief, cast HOPEFULLY in native clay....that's what is in the three buckets. Being a true hunter, I still manage to be digging in the dirt even while not hunting. ANY excuse to get down on the creek.

Thanks for looking
naturegirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are really nice nature girl. They would be nice in a glazed tile too.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you firemac. The date keeps changing, now it's in May, I'm not sure an art show is the best way to raise money in a small, poor town, but I'll contribute. I'm keeping my work as recycled art..junk metal bison, old rope weaving, these castings, ect...are you in Oklahoma?

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks coilygirl. Casting in clay is new too me, and the thought of glazing and all it's mystery is intimidating. I really am just learning how with digging the clay, but I like it so far. (casting lost-wax bronze is more my area). I'm going to try firing the clay tiles in a wood fire on the beach, 'cause that just sounds like fun!

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job naturegirl.......looks like you have some sculpture talent.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That really looks good. Never tried the lost wax castings, maybe one of these years.

The dry areas are causing a wave of detecting along lakes and stream beds. In some areas old towns are appearing from drying lakes. Might be something to look into. Frank...
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice work. Like the subject matter as well.

Before someone comes along and complains about the "Buck" mascot, I'm NDN (pun on an old Native American forum I used to frequent) and NOT offended by the name or the work.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you goldkey and packerbacker! Franken,We've hunted and walked for the last three years. Last year's lucky rains uncovered some goodies, and softened the ground for a bit, but I'm starting to think we're settling back into the drought, now we've had a week of wildfires and uncontrolled "controlled burns" Really hoping for some rain.

chadeaux, I fall on the other side of the whole mascot issue, and it's been a new understanding for me. What I hope to accomplish with this sculpture, which isn't complete yet, is too further the conversation of the offense. I could choose not to do the Buck, but I'm not one to hide my feelings, and the artists have been invited to produce an interpretation of the mascot. I hope to contribute a civil conversation in this town, because this subject will be addressed one day in the future. This is a school mascot. I'd like to see the kids taught an unbiased history, and let them hear from both sides, and then let the kids decide. No alumni. Thank you for your comments, I do appreciate them.

naturegirl

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
chadeaux, I fall on the other side of the whole mascot issue, and it's been a new understanding for me. What I hope to accomplish with this sculpture, which isn't complete yet, is too further the conversation of the offense. I could choose not to do the Buck, but I'm not one to hide my feelings, and the artists have been invited to produce an interpretation of the mascot. I hope to contribute a civil conversation in this town, because this subject will be addressed one day in the future. This is a school mascot. I'd like to see the kids taught an unbiased history, and let them hear from both sides, and then let the kids decide. No alumni. Thank you for your comments, I do appreciate them.

naturegirl

Naturegirl, a small number of my people are thin skinned ... just like a small number of every other racial group. It's the whiner chromosome.

Persons with this birth defect seem to seek each others company and they all have unusually loud voices. In fact, if they don't whine, they become physically ill over the thought that others might actually get to enjoy life. The defect causes them to complain about anything and everything - and unable to Shut The Heck UP - are sleep deprived because of their searches into ways to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

We've seen a bit of it here on the forum here with the whining about some people making non-politically correct statements whether it be about political or religious topics.

Generally, the old folks - the ones who came before - just called them what they were: COWARDS. Why is that not politically correct?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut this from an online dictionary. I'm very surprised that your school mascot has lasted this long in today's society. In the old days the term "Buck" was used to dscribe a male slave, usually a black man, and was considered "breeding stock". I find a lot of this whinning about racial names pretty ridiculous too but, to refer to an Indian male as a buck is kinda out there. I could consider calling the football team at Notre Dame the "Fighting Irish" as racial too but I'll let it slide. :) In these definitions it seems it would be okay to call a high-spirited young man a "buck" as long as he wasn't Indian or black.
buck[SUP] 1[/SUP](bŭk)n.1. a. The adult male of some animals, such as the deer, antelope, or rabbit.
b. Antelope considered as a group: a herd of buck.

2. a. A robust or high-spirited young man.
b. A fop.

3. Offensive A Native American or Black man.
4. An act or instance of bucking: a horse that unseated its rider on the first buck.
5. a. Buckskin.
b. bucks Buckskin breeches or shoes.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
It's lasted because they've been a good football team for the most part, and have a good reputation as worthy opponents. Important in small town Oklahoma. ;) I say that with with fondness, I attended this school too, and yelled "Go Bucks" as loud as anyone. I'm probably in the minority that would like it changed, and I really do think it should be up to the kids. If there is ever a big enough movement amongst the students, then I believe they should be supported. I also recognize that of all the mascots in this country, this little town may be an exception. We have a diverse population and of course a higher than average Native American population. We also had a professional football team made up entirely of Indians in the late twenties. That team even beat the world champions New York Giants in 1927. The professional team influenced the naming of the high school mascot, I've been told.

However, I still feel objectifying a race of people as a sports mascot is not the best way to honor them. It has nothing to do with being thin-skinned. I'm not, and I don't believe the Indians who are offended are thin skinned either. Nor are they cowards. I'm not Native American, by the way, I am however an American, I believe it's the high road for all of us to eventually understand why it's offensive. My challenge will be to somehow to convey it in this piece of artwork.

naturegirl

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow you have some talent,hanks for sharing.your top notch in my book

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We have a diverse population and of course a higher than average Native American population. We also had a professional football team made up entirely of Indians in the late twenties. That team even beat the world champions New York Giants in 1927. The professional team influenced the naming of the high school mascot, I've been told.

What was the name of that all Native American football team?

The Hominy Indians (Hominy, Oklahoma being their home). Is Hominy near where you are (nod nod wink wink)? It may have a bearing on the name of the football team. It may have been what the players referred to themselves as ...

There was a movie made about them in 2012, released last year called "Playground of The Native Son".

You can see the trailer at Video: Playground of the Native Son Trailer Dec footage ~ Frequency

Thank you for sharing that bit of information, you have brightened my day.

Be well.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks jamey!

Pretty neat story isn't it Chadeaux? They filmed some of the movie here, I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to it. It's an undertold story, for sure. I had started sculpting a single Hominy Indian, and another sculpture of three of them, but the foundry I worked at burned and I didn't get to finish them.

ndn 001.JPG

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That looks to be about 16" tall. I have some foundry experience and know that would be difficult to do in a sand casting. I have seen jewelry done with lost wax methods and was just wondering would the lost wax method work at that scale? Frank... By the way that is excellent work.
111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you Frankn, and yes, this would have been cast using the lost-wax method.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread