What's new

hyde scraper?

digordie

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
361
Reaction score
125
Golden Thread
0
This piece has micro edge work done to it. Hope it shows in the pics.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130215_162811.webp
    ForumRunner_20130215_162811.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 217
  • ForumRunner_20130215_162829.webp
    ForumRunner_20130215_162829.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 194
  • ForumRunner_20130215_162905.webp
    ForumRunner_20130215_162905.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 200
Upvote 0
Don't know, but it's a nice looking artifact.
 
Nice piece... I'd call that a flesher. A butchering tool. Looks like it would still work without even retouching. In my opinion the term scraper gets applied as a generalization to alot of artifacts whose main purpose was not for scraping hides or anything else. The configuration of your peice together with the fine flaking on a well defined cutting edge leans towards that being a cutting tool. You can also tell alot by the visible use where on some if they were used on hard or soft tissue.
 
Last edited:
Makes you wonder what its last task was. I often wonder when finding things like that why they were lost or abandoned. Nice addition sir.
 
Nice patina on that piece. Is it broken in half or designed that way?
 
Really nice looking scraper! Pretty material.
 
Thanks guys. Not sure if it is broke in half or just a piece they worked to make useful. Also have found alot of small pieces thats have workibgs on them that i thought were nothing until i saw somones post on thumb scrapers. Its amazing how they utilized nearly every type of rock.
 
By the age of yours posted you should be able to find some turtle scrapers. I hope you dont mind me posting one for you to compare. It is quite small and I have found 2 of them so far. These 3 are scraper types. The black one is the turtle scraper.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2454.webp
    100_2454.webp
    174.1 KB · Views: 174
rock said:
By the age of yours posted you should be able to find some turtle scrapers. I hope you dont mind me posting one for you to compare. It is quite small and I have found 2 of them so far. These 3 are scraper types. The black one is the turtle scraper.

Yes i have found several of these turtle scrapers as well. What time period are they from.
 
Well the area has turned up to be mostly Early Archaic. I have found 1 Mississippian and 1 Woodland point. The tools look to be E A. Mostly tools and scrapers. I would like to see your scrapers posted. Some dont care for them but I feel they were one of the most needed tools the Indians had.
 
rock said:
Well the area has turned up to be mostly Early Archaic. I have found 1 Mississippian and 1 Woodland point. The tools look to be E A. Mostly tools and scrapers. I would like to see your scrapers posted. Some dont care for them but I feel they were one of the most needed tools the Indians had.

I agree
 

Attachments

  • image-3401594757.webp
    image-3401594757.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1301487720.webp
    image-1301487720.webp
    42.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1505141980.webp
    image-1505141980.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image-282466312.webp
    image-282466312.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 146
@ dig I would like to see the side of your find that is against your hand to see if it is broken or a finished tool. Looks almost like a big Cresent knife.
 
rock said:
@ dig I would like to see the side of your find that is against your hand to see if it is broken or a finished tool. Looks almost like a big Cresent knife.

Here is the side shot.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130221_105019.webp
    ForumRunner_20130221_105019.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 120
Looks to be broken in half. It was probably a large oval knife when it was whole. Still a keeper you never know you might find the other half.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom