I am not sure what this is

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
This is my first post to the forum.

I found an object that I am just not sure about.

These are a couple of pictures of a metal object I found over the weekend in low mountains of northern Utah. We were metal detecting in Cache county and this was buried about 2 feet deep. It is about 4 oz. in weight and 3.5 inches long. It is quite heavy and is mostly gold in color with copper hues.
The picture does not do a great job capturing the color, as it was dark when we got back and I took the picture on my iphone.

I will try and get some better pictures today or tomorrow. I am not sure what it is made of, or what it is. I am also unsure of what the marks are. Could it be something from the pioneers?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• gold 1.jpg
    gold 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,519

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
This is a Spanish silver ingot from the Atocha

I also think maybe you found something real nice?

Attachments

• 9078-01.jpg
    9078-01.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,540
Upvote 0

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
hmmm That a tough one. I do agree the markings are not American.
I will be following this. I want to know too.

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It for sure looks like a silver bar called a finger bar!And those marks on it would go with that! :thumbsup: At first I :icon_scratch: about how it would be in utah but this might explain it.Talk about a Banner find! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Start on page 259 -260 you will see some like it made of gold the silver ones in this aution is not marked that way but I have seen them like it.
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction6/catalog.htm

Attachments

• mappin1[1].jpg
    mappin1[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,409
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

You say its really more of a golden copper color and the pic just makes it look silver?

That definitely is a find worthy of the banner if there ever was one!
I am going with Spanish gold finger bar not from the Atocha as is the one pictured below.

atochagoldbarpendant.jpg

Keep looking there are probably more!
They are worth thousands.
You could be onto the find of a lifetime. I suggest you clam up, and take precautions.

GG~

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
Awesome find! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

You say its really more of a golden copper color and the pic just makes it look silver?

Either way that looks like a banner find to me . I am going with Spanish gold finger bar not from the atocha as pictured below.
Yea no doubt something I've been hoping to find someday! :D Maybe I need to move to Utah! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
timekiller said:
It for sure looks like a silver bar called a finger bar!And those marks on it would go with that! :thumbsup: At first I :icon_scratch: about how it would be in utal but this might explain it.Talk about a Banner find! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Start on page 259 -260 you will see some like it made of gold the silver ones in this aution is not marked that way but I have seen them like it.
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction6/catalog.htm

Wow! Cool site. This might be even better than I thought. We have always heard rumors of the Spanish in Utah looking for gold and silver, and even of part of the "Old Spanish Trail" running through the state. We mostly just dismissed the stories as just stories. Very cool.

Is there any way to tell what the symbols mean? These are the symbols from the other side.

Attachments

• gold 2.jpg
    gold 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,341
Upvote 0

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!

I would have to say it is a Spanish ingot also. One of several of our more educated people should be by shortly to tell you even more. A great closeup with a good camera, and of both side would help immensely. Putting something in the picture of a known size would help us out also. Like a quarter or silver dollar beside it. It would help us realize the true size.

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
GoodyGuy said:

Either way that looks like a banner find to me . I am going with Spanish gold finger bar not from the Atocha.

You could be on to the find of a lifetime. I suggest you clam up, and take precautions.

GG~

Good advice. I have not cleaned it up at all. What should I do to try and preserve it? Do I clean it? Do I leave it as it is? Do I need to treat is with anything? Just not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
RJGMC said:
GREAT FIND!!!!!!!!

I would have to say it is a Spanish ingot also. One of several of our more educated people should be by shortly to tell you even more. A great closeup with a good camera, and of both side would help immensely. Putting something in the picture of a known size would help us out also. Like a quarter or silver dollar beside it. It would help us realize the true size.

Bob

I will do that right away to show more detail, size and color.
Thanks

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sseth said:
GoodyGuy said:

Either way that looks like a banner find to me . I am going with Spanish gold finger bar not from the Atocha.

You could be on to the find of a lifetime. I suggest you clam up, and take precautions.

GG~

Good advice. I have not cleaned it up at all. What should I do to try and preserve it? Do I clean it? Do I leave it as it is? Do I need to treat is with anything? Just not sure what to do.
Goodyguy gave you good advice I'd watch what I said around people tell you know there is no more of them.Cleaning- Nothing to do to it it's silver leave as is. :wink: The marks mean many things but I'm no good on all the different kinds.But should be able to find out yourself now that you know what you got just follow up on types of marks for spanish silver! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sseth said:

From the pic I cant tell whether it is gold or silver mixed with copper. I would not clean it, or treat it, I would leave it as is.

GG~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sseth

Apr 14, 2010
GoodyGuy said:
sseth said:

From the pic I cant tell whether it is gold or silver mixed with copper. I would not clean it, or treat it, I would leave it as is.

GG~

Thank you very much.
Seth

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread