What's new

I am so dumb, I put the blank on backwards

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "blank" I'm referring to is the scope on my new .22 airgun. Eyes aren't so great anymore, so I finally took it to a gun dealer, He fixed it right fast. Now I can hit anything at 50' with less than a 1" pattern for 4 shots. In all fairness I did read the instructions. And I never owned anything with a scope on it before. Don't laugh till soda comes out your nose.
 
Three thoughts come to mind.
50/50 chance.
It could have worked.
First black powder rifle I built from a kit ,the rear sight was installed backwards by ....some one.
 
But NOW a quarter at 50' is TOAST! Or just not readable by a Coinstar.
 
*hehe* Yes, it helps if you know which way is front. Didn't it seem strange that when you looked through the scope, that the image got smaller?? :laughing7:
 
No, because I never looked through a scope before. Always did it the hard way in the past. And even though I read the instructions, nowhere did it point to "front".
 
Last edited:
Ahh, if it makes you feel any better, When I was 6 my dad left me shoot his .308. It had a scope on it. I put my eye right up to the scope, like I was looking through a microscope. Well when the bullet exited the barrel, I found out real good how hard the scope moves back. I had a shiner to end all shiners.
 
I'm an iron sights man myself. Beating and bayoneting the bad guys tends to throw the optics off.
 
When I was a young don't recall what age I bought my first chainsaw and knew how to use one as my uncle had a wood business but I still put the chain back on backwards and after cutting almost a cord of wood realized my mistake, only took two days to cut the wood I just thought dang this is some tough pine.:BangHead:
 
I used to be a "sights" guy also. Then when I married, my wife had ump-teen scoped rifles, as well as shotguns and handguns. Took a lot of years for me to get used to scopes, but I did. Now, my eyesight has taken a nosedive to the point I cannot shoot anything other than a shotgun. And with a bad neck, am afraid to shoot larger than .410 :crybaby2:
 
I used to be a "sights" guy also. Then when I married, my wife had ump-teen scoped rifles, as well as shotguns and handguns. Took a lot of years for me to get used to scopes, but I did. Now, my eyesight has taken a nosedive to the point I cannot shoot anything other than a shotgun. And with a bad neck, am afraid to shoot larger than .410 :crybaby2:

I've gotten so bad it is scopes and shooting sticks for me.Still can't hit the broadside of a barn.:laughing7:
 
I used to shoot fairly well with iron sights. At basic training, I shot the center of the target to where they couldn't count 16 of my shots. However, I've NEVER sat down and spent time "practicing". Other than basic, don't think I've ever fired more than 4-5 rounds at a target before. And even then not even once a month.

I've never hunted, though I'm not opposed to it. Just, I've never had a need to. However, I'd like to think I could still provide game if need be - especially where we live now!!
 
Well I'm glad you finally got it figured out. :occasion14:

My sight isn't what it used to be up close. But my far away vision is still very good for my age (61.5 y/o). I've bought many thousands of .22 rounds with the last brick of ammo being matched ammo. It made a big difference. I can still (with the matched ammo) put 5 shot @ 50 yds. into a 1/4" group. But when I switched to "standard" ammo the group opened right up to a 1/2+ groups. But I do have a great scope on the Rutger 10/22 rifle also.

I'm even thinking now of getting a KIDD trigger adjustable assembly with their 2 stage 6 ounce trigger assembly for my 10/22 rifle.

BUT, I'M GLAD YOU FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT WAS WRONG.... and good for you! Best wishes going forward.... Brad
 
One of my favorite .22's growing up is the old Remington 550-1. It's a sweet little semi with tube feed, and is pretty darn accurate considering the era it's from! Only thing is, if it gets taken apart (completely), there are about 3 parts that MUST be replaced with new parts. I learned that the hard way one time. :tongue3:
 
Maybe the scope was on correctly and you had the rifle backwards.

Do you have an extra earring hole you are not aware of?
 
The quarters I"m setting up as targets 50' away are HISTORY! Victory is mine!
 
great sassy mollassy! have you never seen a hunting show?
 
No, I don't watch hunting shows. Just funny animals on youtube. Next goal, PENNIES at 50'. It doesn't actually RUIN the quarters, they are lightly weighted so bounce away quite well.
 
Whatever happened to making a set of circles on a sheet of printer paper?? :dontknow:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom