What's new

I collect early U.S. license plates

pl8man

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
4,204
Reaction score
4,643
Golden Thread
2
Location
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are pictures of my office walls at home . I have collected early U.S. plates since 1981 . The first two pictures are porcelain license plates . The 3rd and 4th are early 1900's home made pre state issue license plates . Most states before the state wide issue would give you a number and the you would be responsible for making a number tag . It's a great hobby !!
Thanks for looking ,
Glen (PL8MAN)
 

Attachments

  • P9160001.webp
    P9160001.webp
    297.3 KB · Views: 2,405
  • P9160002.webp
    P9160002.webp
    277.5 KB · Views: 1,950
  • P9160003.webp
    P9160003.webp
    230.9 KB · Views: 988
  • P9160004.webp
    P9160004.webp
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Awesome plate collection! :headbang: :headbang:

1906 is the oldest I see, unless I missed something. :D Is that your oldest?
 
DigginThePast said:
Awesome plate collection! :headbang: :headbang:

1906 is the oldest I see, unless I missed something. :D Is that your oldest?


That is the oldest dated state issue . The leather plate in the third photo with the number 3771 is 1903 New Jersey . This is the oldest in my collection . Some of the others are 1904 and 1905 . The number 3718 CAL is a first year California , 1905 .
Thanks
Glen
 
pl8man said:
DigginThePast said:
Awesome plate collection! :headbang: :headbang:

1906 is the oldest I see, unless I missed something. :D Is that your oldest?


That is the oldest dated state issue . The leather plate in the third photo with the number 3771 is 1903 New Jersey . This is the oldest in my collection . Some of the others are 1904 and 1905 . The number 3718 CAL is a first year California , 1905 .
Thanks
Glen

Very cool. Thanks for sharing them. :icon_thumright:
 
Awesome collection ! I love the four digit plates, they indeed are early. Very cool !
 
wow!!! nice collection!!!! i just started collection old license plates but only have 5 :-[. i get them on ebay!!! :laughing7:
 
blacoint said:
hell of a damn nice collection. I would love to have one of those penna plates...any secrets on how i may be able to get one?


I have got mine on EBAY and through the license plate club . The club in the ALPCA or Automobile License Plate Collectors Association .
Good luck !
Glen
 
Nice collection. I don't have any myself, but appreciate them.

If I'm not mistaken the earliest plate for Nova Scotia is also from 1906, I think I can find the document to support that statement. It's a pretty cool read you might be interested in, I recall it mentioning that the horse people wanted them (cars) banned because they frightened their horses, and I believe they were not alowed to drive them one day a week, maybe sunday.

give me a sec.......
First car was 1899

http://www.littletechshoppe.com/ns1625/automobiles.html

I was off a bit, first plate was 1907, but hand made

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/registration/historic.asp
 
Man, that is some serious plateage! Cool!
 
I have a number 33 1903 New Jersey pre-state plate. Pretty cool :-)
 
Very cool. Having spent half my life working in salvage yards, I have a decent collection of plates myself but none that old. I do have all 50 states, most of the Canadian Provinces & 1 from the Red Lake Band of the Chippewa Indian Reservation. I think my oldest is a NH 1918 which is not porcelain. I believe it's one of the first painted plates NH made. The Northwest Territories Canadian plate shaped like a polar bear is a tough one to get.
 

Attachments

  • 010 (2).webp
    010 (2).webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 007 (2).webp
    007 (2).webp
    61.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 006 (2).webp
    006 (2).webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    111.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 003 (2).webp
    003 (2).webp
    84.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Very cool. Having spent half my life working in salvage yards, I have a decent collection of plates myself but none that old. I do have all 50 states, most of the Canadian Provinces & 1 from the Red Lake Band of the Chippewa Indian Reservation. I think my oldest is a NH 1918 which is not porcelain. I believe it's one of the first painted plates NH made. The Northwest Territories Canadian plate shaped like a polar bear is a tough one to get.

Sweet collection !
Glen
 
I have a number 33 1903 New Jersey pre-state plate. Pretty cool :-)

That is one low number !!! Is it a leather ? I have New Jersey 1903 #3771 . It is a leather . Send me a picture .
Glen
 
1903NJprestate.webp

Definitely the rarest plate I own, one of the lowest number prestates in existence
 
Right click and open in new window for best view
 
Great plates, everybody.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom