cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last saturday, just as I was finishing up my yardsale route I got a call. This guy was the brother of a guy I buy cellphones from. Hymie want to know if I want some phones, he has two boxes. (His brother, Homero, usually has three)
I told him sure at 40 cents each, he agreed and we set up a meet.

Late that day I bought 465 phones. They are now all packed (with about 60 more I had picked up) and ready to go to FL where I get $6 lb

Those phones took up 2.5 boxes, so in the last box I filled it with computer boards, I get $3 lb for those. I expect a check for $550 - $600 in a few weeks.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thars gold in them there phones and boards.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
when you say computer boards do you mean any circuit boards or just ones with "gold fingers" or what?
Thanks for reposting that older post. I send in motherboards and the plugin card that go into the MB. I also pull the boards from all DVD and floppy disk drives, they get $3 lf too.

I do not send RAM, CPUs and the circuit boards from hard drives. I save these and sell separatly for a lot more.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
diggummup said:
when you say computer boards do you mean any circuit boards or just ones with "gold fingers" or what?
Thanks for reposting that older post. I send in motherboards and the plugin card that go into the MB. I also pull the boards from all DVD and floppy disk drives, they get $3 lf too.

I do not send RAM, CPUs and the circuit boards from hard drives. I save these and sell separatly for a lot more.
Thanks, I was wondering because I have a large box full of stuff i've pulled out of old computers that I really didn't know what to do with. Most of it has come from old comps. that were trashed at a couple job sites I was on several years ago.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I was wondering because I have a large box full of stuff i've pulled out of old computers that I really didn't know what to do with.
box it all up (except RAM/CPU) and ask Jack for a shipping label. They will sort into the catagory they belong and send a check. Or you can drive 300 miles north and deliver in person :o

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
Last saturday, just as I was finishing up my yardsale route I got a call. This guy was the brother of a guy I buy cellphones from. Hymie want to know if I want some phones, he has two boxes. (His brother, Homero, usually has three)
I told him sure at 40 cents each, he agreed and we set up a meet.

Late that day I bought 465 phones. They are now all packed (with about 60 more I had picked up) and ready to go to FL where I get $6 lb

Those phones took up 2.5 boxes, so in the last box I filled it with computer boards, I get $3 lb for those. I expect a check for $550 - $600 in a few weeks.

That's a lot of phones! Great niche market you're using. In another post, didn't you say the other guy pays the postage? I'll bet you don't worry about packing materials :icon_thumleft:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Dan!

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice return. In the original post Paypal is mentioned. I'm not a fan of the Paypal fees, does he only deal with Paypal accounts?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
Wow nice return. In the original post Paypal is mentioned. I'm not a fan of the Paypal fees, does he only deal with Paypal accounts?
Jack will do paypal for your convienience. I always get a company check from him.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill said:
That's a lot of phones! Great niche market you're using. In another post, didn't you say the other guy pays the postage? I'll bet you don't worry about packing materials :icon_thumleft:
Jack sends me a fedX link and I print labels. He pays the shipping.

I didn't worry about packing materials till this morning when I took in the 3 cartons. The clerk (buff female) actually picked up each carton and shook it. She said it rattles and fedx can no longer accept any carton that rattles. BUT, for $3.00 each she will open each box and stuff it till it does not rattle. I told her they were broken cell phones, but it didn't matter. I will have to pack different in the future. :'(

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Dan. Looks like I'm going to start piling up cell phones and computer parts in the garage alongside the copper and the brass and the........

and thanks also to diggumup for reposting the link

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will only get a few phones every saturday yard sailing. Go to swapmeets, look for the guys that sell used phones. Ask for broken and/or old phones. You will get a lot more this way.

I offer 25¢ each or 3 for $1.00 half the time they laugh at my lowball offer. the other half they start pulling out phones happy to make a sale. When I buy in big bulk I pay 35¢ to 40¢ each and I do all the counting.

My biggest supplier speaks no english, as usual one of his kids does all the translating. He has a big 2 or 3 space swapmeet store. His brother speaks just enough to make a deal. Between the two I think I have bought at least 2500 phones. ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
billjustbill said:

I didn't worry about packing materials till this morning when I took in the 3 cartons. The clerk (buff female) actually picked up each carton and shook it. She said it rattles and fedx can no longer accept any carton that rattles. BUT, for $3.00 each she will open each box and stuff it till it does not rattle. I told her they were broken cell phones, but it didn't matter. I will have to pack different in the future. :'(
Save your plastic grocery bags. They work great for packing items that you just need to keep from banging around (ie-not fragile). It's about the only thing they are good for and they are free. No sense using peanuts or bubble wrap for stuff like that. Crumpled newspaper works well too.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
A) Save your plastic grocery bags. They work great for packing items that you just need to keep from banging around (ie-not fragile).

B) It's about the only thing they are good for and they are free.

C) Crumpled newspaper works well too.

A) I got a lot of those
B) when I recycle wire I fill them up with the cheaper stuff. When they are full I figuer I get about $4-6 each
B) Not the next county over (1 mile) That would be Los Angeles county. Those tree huggers passed a law that stores must charge 10¢ each for those multi purpose bags. Being the cheap Scott that I am I no longer shop in that county. Besides I think the sales tax is 2% higher over there also. So all those dumb polititions did was loose more business for their county/city.
C) got lots of that!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
diggummup said:
A) Save your plastic grocery bags. They work great for packing items that you just need to keep from banging around (ie-not fragile).

B) It's about the only thing they are good for and they are free.

C) Crumpled newspaper works well too.

A) I got a lot of those
B) when I recycle wire I fill them up with the cheaper stuff. When they are full I figuer I get about $4-6 each
B) Not the next county over (1 mile) That would be Los Angeles county. Those tree huggers passed a law that stores must charge 10¢ each for those multi purpose bags. Being the cheap Scott that I am I no longer shop in that county. Besides I think the sales tax is 2% higher over there also. So all those dumb polititions did was loose more business for their county/city.
C) got lots of that!
I figured you already had it down pat. I know this aint your first rodeo!

.10 each for those worthless bags huh? That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. I'm sure it's not .10 refundable deposit as with bottles is it? I could maybe see a penny per bag but .10 is way outta line.
Welcome to Kalifornia

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
diggummup said:
cyberdan said:
billjustbill said:

Save your plastic grocery bags. They work great for packing items that you just need to keep from banging around (ie-not fragile). It's about the only thing they are good for and they are free. No sense using peanuts or bubble wrap for stuff like that. Crumpled newspaper works well too.

I use my bags when i sell at the fleamarket . Target bags being the preffered fleamarket bag I used since they dont seem to break or get holes . The publix and wally world bags dont always work .

On another note i wonder if your 2500+ phone vendor is just diving into the recycle bins at schools and other public places for those . I know when i worked at the school they never seemed to fill up and i never saw someone empty them . But ppl did drop phones in them .

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have an idea on average what the dollar value in precious metals is in the average computer? I've seen quite a few lately at yard sales, flea markets and auctions and was wondering how much or how little should I bid or offer for them?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
Does anyone have an idea on average what the dollar value in precious metals is in the average computer? I've seen quite a few lately at yard sales, flea markets and auctions and was wondering how much or how little should I bid or offer for them?
Well this is what I pay for computers. $0.00 $1.00 $1.50 each.
Again (like my post much higher up in this thread) I get laughed at for a lowball price or they are eager to help me load it in my car. I sell the circuit boards to the same guy that buys my phones. My profit is at least 100% to 200%

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nightowl 280 said:
i wonder if your 2500+ phone vendor is just diving into the recycle bins at schools and other public places for those .
Good question that I can't answer. About 20% of the phones I buy from hermanos grande are caked in mud, broken in half or have shattered screens. It does not matter cause all the gold is still there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread