What's new

I dont have a clue do you?

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2008
Messages
1,514
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
I don't have a clue do you?

I found this at a old home site.I really don't know when the home was there we haven't found
any coins to date.This item is made out of very thin copper that reads PATENT APP'D FOR,the
back is blank.I really don't have a clue what the increment's are,I put a metric ruler beside
it but millimeters are off.This piece isn't broke off it is whole.So I am asking for some help.
Does anyone know what this is used for.
Thanks in advance.

fortbball9
 

Attachments

  • Picture 661.webp
    Picture 661.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,217
  • Picture 661.webp
    Picture 661.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,210
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Just wondering...would a watch fob have Pan't applied for on it? wouldn't it have a brand name? and if it isn't a watch fob, why would it be curved? to measure font on a cylinder? The slot could be to line up the scale with lines of text? Just wondering. it's a neat little thing.

naturegirl
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Is it bent or curved? I also thought it was very thin. I cant see it being a watch fob. Watch fobs will be thicker and usually have a manufacturer name on the back. The slot is not positioned right for a watch fob IMO.

A clear pic of the back may help. The corners appear crimped as if to fasten to another thicker material.


Some items remain unsolved. Unless you have a matching pic, I would leave off the green check. Some of us researchers search the old posts and ignore the green checked threads because they are already solved..
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Here is a few more pics of this thing.It is very thin the only thing that you can see on the back is where
the numbers was punched on the front.The edges of it is very clean I don't think that it is broke at
any point.The ends are all alike I can't see where it was attached to anything.I also think that it is
curved not bent since it is like that from one end to the other.Thanks for all of the help to ID this.

fortbball9
 

Attachments

  • Picture 663.webp
    Picture 663.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 714
  • Picture 664.webp
    Picture 664.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 711
  • Picture 665.webp
    Picture 665.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 710
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

What about an igntion timing plate from 0 to 12 degrees BTDC? That would account for the curve.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

today is D-DAY anniversary.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

It's a scale for measuring pig-nuts...... ;D. Or ya could put it in with the other mystery piece that came from Alaska..........NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Agreed with this one. The slot could easly be adjustable.

bigcypresshunter said:
What about an igntion timing plate from 0 to 12 degrees BTDC? That would account for the curve.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

lostcauses said:
Agreed with this one. The slot could easly be adjustable.

bigcypresshunter said:
What about an igntion timing plate from 0 to 12 degrees BTDC? That would account for the curve.

Any pics/sites of ignition timing plate idea?

I was just guessing on the watch fob (I too have applied green check mark too early ;D)

naturegirl said:
Just wondering...would a watch fob have Pan't applied for on it? wouldn't it have a brand name? and if it isn't a watch fob, why would it be curved? to measure font on a cylinder? The slot could be to line up the scale with lines of text? Just wondering. it's a neat little thing.

naturegirl

Good point naturegirl :icon_thumright:

Guess it could have been a set of 'typo rulers'. The slot was used to hang different sized rulers on the box with the brand name on it. The size of the ruler was chosen based on area the printer/type setter had to measure/work with.

If for weight measurements the piece would have been attached to something and makes it a more likely possibility. Don't think the slot had any function with the weight measurement itself. Well, unless there was a switch that could change measurements between ounces/pounds or better yet pounds/kilo.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Sometimes due to size limitations, pointers and needles have a 90 degree offset applied to them. And this item, because of the limited travel in the slot, may have been one of these instances, so, this could still be a weight measuring device....... just my WAG................NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

The only problem if see with a needle device is that the needle would be too short to reach ends of scale ???

Or too long to read detailed measurement middle of scale.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

IronSpike said:
lostcauses said:
Agreed with this one. The slot could easly be adjustable.

bigcypresshunter said:
What about an igntion timing plate from 0 to 12 degrees BTDC? That would account for the curve.

Any pics/sites of ignition timing plate idea?


I couldnt find a good pic. Maybe for an old automobile. It would account for the bend and the numbers 0-12 are right. Maybe the best timing for this vehicle is between 4 to 8 degrees BTDC and the timing mark would show through the window as the crankshaft pulley turns.. Im just guessing but everything fits and it makes sense where you found it.
 

Attachments

  • timing plate.webp
    timing plate.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Some timing plates are located on the curved area between the crank pulley and the block. It could have been glued to the block with high temperature epoxy at one time. The slot could have fit on an uptrusion molded into the block....NGE
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

We need to account for the curve and this theory does that. It also accounts for the numbers. I cannot find a matching pic but you get the idea. The slot could be a mount but it could also be a patented applied window to set the timing between 4 and 8 degrees BTDC.. It could also be an aftermarket timing plate to apply over top of the stock plate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_mark
 

Attachments

  • TimingMark.webp
    TimingMark.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 549
  • timing marks.webp
    timing marks.webp
    1.9 KB · Views: 545
  • timing_tab.webp
    timing_tab.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 578
  • timing marks damper.webp
    timing marks damper.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Maybe a scale from an old sewing machine. I.E. number of stitches per inch? I've got a really old Singer that has a different type of stitch gauge. - - Just a thought - -
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

Glenns5900 said:
Maybe a scale from an old sewing machine. I.E. number of stitches per inch? I've got a really old Singer that has a different type of stitch gauge. - - Just a thought - -

That's a darned good idea too. :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

I know I have found a few pieces that I thought were broken thermometers but were complete. they have a similar scale to yours. I'll try and dig them out but I do know they were made by incubator companies, hence being an incubator. A common item in cattle or farming country. I'm sure the numbers are different though (being in temperature) and I'm probably wasting your time. The scale of measurement is similar though, both have a small range of measurement and looks to be the same size as yours. Sorry if this wasn't helpful.
Dave.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

How about a printer's line gauge?

Daryl
 

Attachments

  • linegauge.webp
    linegauge.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 535
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

BioProfessor said:
How about a printer's line gauge?

Daryl
I thought about that also but the 0 to 12 on that gauge is 2 in,Mine is more than 2 in.

fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue do you?

BuckleBoy said:
Glenns5900 said:
Maybe a scale from an old sewing machine. I.E. number of stitches per inch? I've got a really old Singer that has a different type of stitch gauge. - - Just a thought - -

That's a darned good idea too. :icon_sunny:
Are they curved?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom