What's new

I dug a Pre-WW2 coin-stash..........

Rich in Central PA

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2003
Messages
725
Reaction score
418
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shamokin Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, well the metal detecting gods smiled on me yesterday as I went out for a typical day of metal detecting. Turns out it was anything BUT a normal day as you shall see. I decided to go deep into the woods behind this old picnic grove (circa 1850).
Grove#1.webpGrove#2.webp
First hour was better than usual: dug 2 Indianheads 1889 & 1907, then 2 wheats 1912 & 1920 plus an old cufflink and possible a suspender clasp?

Grove#3.webp
Second hour gets interesting. Came across a dead tree in the woods and swiped my detector under it and sounded offf like a tin can but with muliple VDI's :quarter, dime, etc., you get the picture.........Dug the hole about 6 inches and staring me in the face is a Barber Quarter, pulled it out, and can see multiple coins in the hole, some loose and some stuck together. What a friggin' rush. Didn't need my detector, just kept sticking my fingers in the hole feeling for coins and took them out of the hole one by one. Then I scanned the hole with my detector and got a few more making sure I didn't miss any. When all was done, there were 25 coins in that hole ranging from 1908 to 1941.

The coin breakdown: 1908-O Barber Quarter, 1913 Barber Dime, Mercury Dimes: 1920, 1924, 1928-S, 1939, 1941. Buffalo Nickels: 1918, 1920, 1923, 1923, 1926, 1935, 1935. Jefferson Nickels: 1938, 1940, 1940, 1940, 1941, 1941. Wheaties: 1920-D, 1934, 1938, 1940, 1941.

A most memorable day in my life detecting. Thanks for looking, and yesssssssssss there are coin stashes and caches still out there.........Rich
Grove#4.webp
 

Attachments

  • Grove#5.webp
    Grove#5.webp
    481.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Grove#6.webp
    Grove#6.webp
    842.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Grove#7.webp
    Grove#7.webp
    499.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Grove#8.webp
    Grove#8.webp
    482.7 KB · Views: 340
  • Grove#9.webp
    Grove#9.webp
    548.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Grove#9a.webp
    Grove#9a.webp
    322.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Grove#9b.webp
    Grove#9b.webp
    324.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Grove#9c.webp
    Grove#9c.webp
    331.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Grove#9d.webp
    Grove#9d.webp
    227.6 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 40
Well now, you won't soon forget that hunt. Nice!!!!
 
Wow!! Congrats on a wonderful discovery!
 
Wow! What a great find. I would go back and look some more in the same area, could be even more. Tennessee digger
 
Rich you are one of the luckiest SOB's I ever met!!! What a find......I'm sure you were a little excited to see all that coming out the ground!

Congrats!!!

Buy me a lottery ticket will ya?

Dave
 
What a fantastic coin spill!
 
Nice find,oddly enough that wheat i got up their today was a 1920 also?Wish i could find another stash.Especialy a silver one like yours.
 
That's what ya call a phenomenal day of detecting!:occasion14:
 
Nice finds Rich !

congrats !
 
Congratulations. That is something all of us detectors dream about.
 
Wow! That's an impressive find. I agree go back and see if there's more there somewhere close by. Good luck.
 
wow how awesome is that? I'll bet that was one super fun dig :headbang:
 
With guys like you around there aren't gonna be any caches left for me to find before I get my DFX figured out.

What an awesome find.

:thumbsup:
 
Looks like sometime in 1941 somebody was having a "picnic" in the woods and lost all their pocket change. Hmm.

Awesome find!
 
OMG you'll be dreaming about that signal for years!
 
Looks like a MEGA-SPILL!

40 years ago--I bet every day was like this.
Nice as anything I have seen here! Find of a lifetime! Congratz! :occasion14: :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup:

Jeff, you see this one? :wave:
 
Looks like sometime in 1941 somebody was having a "picnic" in the woods and lost all their pocket change. Hmm.

Awesome find!

You're not implying that there might be a few "Merry Widows" cans lying around there, are you?:happysmiley:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom