What's new

I Feel Your Pain !

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I took a break this week from halves and got 4 boxes of dimes. Out of 10,000 candidates, I was able to find 3 silver Rosies. Maybe I should try a "Dime Bag" instead of boxes. Good luck to all. Jim
 
Upvote 0
Hate them dimes. I got a silver Rosie out of the reject tray while dumping today- second time. HH Mark
 
By boxes do you mean those like... FED rolled rip and tear rolls that you can't reuse?

You can't expect to do nearly as well from those in my experience as you can from the customer wrapped rolls.

~Dave
 
Nah, dime boxes suck. Customer rolled dimes all the way. I have never gotten anything from dime boxes...
 
BBcardsRI said:
By boxes do you mean those like... FED rolled rip and tear rolls that you can't reuse?

You can expect to do nearly as well from those in my experience as you can from the customer wrapped rolls.

~Dave
The dimes I order come from the "vault" as my tellers say. Paper wrapped rip and tears that are marked with the "Fed's" company name that rolls the coin. I have found that the average of customer wrapped vs "fed" box is close to the same, 10 silvers per 10,000 dimes. Thats alot of coin to handle with such a meager return.
I like the canadian dime variety that I find, although the ratio of silver canadian vs steel? canadian is 1 per 50, and I see alot of canadian dimes, perhaps 50 per 10,000 dimes. AMC
 
I mean this with all due respect, but if the yield for searching dimes is as low as many of you report, is it really worth it to search for them? Is 10 dollars profit enough to justify the time to buy the dimes, search them and then dump them? Thinking about fuel costs and time spent.

I have only searched halves so I have no experience with dimes, but from what I have been reading they seem not very profitable, except for some of the few examples here posted where someone finds a customer roll full of silver dimes.

Since dimes seem even more rare than halves, which are worth at least twice as much as dimes (for the 40%s, 5 times more for a 90%), I hope I do not get the CRHing fever for dimes anytime soon. CRHing for dimes might be the "gateway drug" that leads to searching for aluminum cans to cash in. LOL!!

Jim
 
LOL, better luck neck batch... :tongue3:
 
Jim, here's how I look at it, as this is only a hobby for me as is metal detecting (talk about gas costs). This has never been about profit.
If I search $5k boxes in dimes and get 50, and search $5k boxes in halves and get 0 (my average), I guess I'll stick with dimes. Thats like pulling 10 90% silver halves.
I'm in this for the long run, bigger pile. It's too bad all the banks in my area (alot) all get their boxes from the same supplier, I just got tired of finding nothing in halves boxes, box after box after box. (1 40% out of 10 boxes.) I don't care what anyone says, that is discouraging.

AMC
 
AMC rulz said:
Jim, here's how I look at it, as this is only a hobby for me as is metal detecting (talk about gas costs). This has never been about profit.
If I search $5k boxes in dimes and get 50, and search $5k boxes in halves and get 0 (my average), I guess I'll stick with dimes. Thats like pulling 10 90% silver halves.
I'm in this for the long run, bigger pile. It's too bad all the banks in my area (alot) all get their boxes from the same supplier, I just got tired of finding nothing in halves boxes, box after box after box. (1 40% out of 10 boxes.) I don't care what anyone says, that is discouraging.

AMC

I hear what you are saying. If it is a hobby and you enjoy it, then the issue of profit should not matter. If I only got 1 40% out of 10 boxes I would feel that way too. In fact, I have cut down on my CRHing due to lack of great results (like I had the first couple of weeks of my CRHing experience). I still find some here and there which keeps me getting more boxes, but at one time I was a CRHing junkie calling banks out of the phone book looking for half dollars, when I should have been taking care of more important things (this only lasted a very short time thankfully).

Now I simply pick up a few boxes a week and dump them when it is convenient for me, so I dont really waste much fuel since I am going that way anyway. I also have a couple of banks that save their coin machine bags for me when they fill. They take along time to fill because so far no CRHers are dumping there. They have been some of my best yields so far.

If I didnt have to work I would probably CRH to excess and would get dimes as well as halves. But since I have to limit my CRHing time, I chose halves because I still get the thrill of finding them, they have the highest rate of return per coin, and in my area they are still to be found in decent numbers some times. If halves were not available or were as skunky as you have, I would probably switch to dimes just for something to look through.

Jim
 
I only bought dimes when I was out of halves and needed a fix. I was averaging 1 silver/ $250 box- my last purchase of 4 boxes got ME 1 silver Rosie total, I haven't needed a fix that bad since LOL. HH Mark
 
The thing with searching dime rolls as well as quarters and such is that yes... you get very poor yeilds for the most part... with the cost of gas and time not even worth the searching... but you never know when that old lady down the street is going to turn in her $300.00 in face of silver coin... so you need to keep getting poor yeilds until you hit the jackpot...

~Dave
 
I've never done dime boxes. I have done only two dime bags ($1000 each). Both bags yeilded 7 silvers each. (13 rosies, 1 merc) It's just as addicting. I'll do them again. I really have no interest in getting boxes of them though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom