I felt the mean streak within me today

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well, I was at one of my dump banks today and I heard this guy behind me asking tellers for half dollars and trying to order a box. I was at the time, packaging my dumps off to the side. I heard the man asking and I did not want to conversate with him at all. THen I heard him talking over my shoulder to me about me collecting half dollars. He saw my load of halves to dump. He honestly seemed like a nice guy and as much as I'm a nice guy, my mean streak showed. I really gave him a cold shoulder. I gave minimum answers as he was complaining about how bad boxes were. Yeah, I told him boxes weren't great either which is true however he saw that I had 4 boxes worth in bags to dump. I think he was in awe about it. He asked me how much I did a week, I said 4. He asked all these bothersome newbie type questions. Then he asked if I sell my finds or keep them. I said I keep them. What a pain. I can't stand competition in my area. The truth is if we are in the same area (at the same bank), there's no way I want to help my competition with this. Hopefully, he didn't get any ideas but he probably did. Just the 21 questions was annoying as hell. I honestly wanted to tell him to F#ck off but I did answer them in short form. Unfortunately.

I felt like the old gold prospector seeing some other prospector on my turf. Hands off my turf. If you want to prospect for silver, go east. Don't come round these here parts.

I'm actually a nice guy in real life. I'd probably help that guy out too with other stuff if he needed it but when it comes to getting halves at my bank that I go to, you're on your own. I felt the primal nasty streak in myself today. Like, I'm gonna help some random CRHer at one of my banks. If it was a bank out of my area, I wouldn't care but one of my banks that I frequent, good luck. Maybe if you want info, you give me info.. fair exchange and we can talk but seeing how he seems sort of new, he'd have little info to exchange.

The truth is that he is right, finds are slim. Half the boxes are skunks with others having a couple sprinkles. It's not like the dime boxes or penny boxes at all. Finds have been less and less. I now have to get 4 boxes a week to get a keeper while half to 3/4ths are skunks.

Anyone else bump into competition in your area? Ever feel the mean streak? It's just the 21 questions that was killing me. It's kinda like "hey, dude where can I get the gold at?" I think if there was enough for everyone like copper pennies and there was silver in every box, I would be fine with helping him but being that competition is high and the finds are less.. sorry dude you're on your own at this point in time.

Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not bumped into others, but several banks said there are frequent requests for halfs at their banks....re: BOA esp.

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
i was wondering if that was you...

kidding. that sucker was violating fight club! i haven't run into anyone face-to-face but if i do my shoulder will be colder than yours was unless the other person has any information to offer. they would get semi-cryptic, half-truths at best if they pressed the issue...especially right there in the branch

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Agro said:

kidding. that sucker was violating fight club! i haven't run into anyone face-to-face but if i do my shoulder will be colder than yours was unless the other person has any information to offer. they would get semi-cryptic, half-truths at best if they pressed the issue...especially right there in the branch

Agreed.. lol

It's simply because the numbers aren't what they used to be. It's not like penny boxes where no one ever gets skunked unless it was all new coins. Hell, you get your penny boxes, I get mine.. all productive boxes.. all good.. we can talk. It's not like that with halves.

I'm an honest guy but next time, there will be half truths told to the competition.

FIRE310

Mar 22, 2011
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt it yesterday :)
Went to my dump bank, which is were my wife and I have our accts, They allow me to dump and we have a great relationship. They also save coins for me when they come in and think I'd be interested in them, well I'm sitting there conversing with them (small town) and an "out of towner" walks in and says "I need all the halves you have, I'm looking for silver", they ask him if he has an acct and he pulls out his acct card and says yes.

Well the teller winked at me and said, "Yep, we have $2,000 in halves that some old guy brought in last week, do you want them?" He said yep, "I'm from XXXXX (which is 300 miles away) and I'm going to all the banks branches getting their halves". He happily took the halves and left without so much as a thank you.... My teller smiled at me and said, "He wont find anything there, thats the halves you brought us yesterday", then she procceded to open her drawer and hand me two 40%'ers she'd saved for me....

Pays to treat people nice and "my ladies" appreciate their little bag of chocolates I bring them every week, and the pictures that my kids color for them to hang on their teller cubes.

So yes, I wanted to tell him to go back to his "own turf", and to treat people more nicely, however I achieved silent satisfaction in picturing hime going thru my dumps.... :)
HH!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I can understand how you felt. I have only experienced this while dumping halves and sometimes a bothersome curious individual will get in real close to look at the halves I am dumping and start asking questions. The first time or two it did not bother me so much. But now I will give the person a "get the f away from me look" which has always worked. I think it is a great intrusion on one's privacy when you are at a bank and people think they have the right to inquire about the coins you have while they are right on top of you basically, looking over your shoulder. If I did that to someone in the teller line while they were getting bills handed back to them they would probably call the police on me.

Although I understand their curiosity because not many people come in with huge bags of coins to dump, it is still none of their business.

Jim

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
FIRE310 said:
I felt it yesterday :)
Went to my dump bank, which is were my wife and I have our accts, They allow me to dump and we have a great relationship. They also save coins for me when they come in and think I'd be interested in them, well I'm sitting there conversing with them (small town) and an "out of towner" walks in and says "I need all the halves you have, I'm looking for silver", they ask him if he has an acct and he pulls out his acct card and says yes.

Well the teller winked at me and said, "Yep, we have $2,000 in halves that some old guy brought in last week, do you want them?" He said yep, "I'm from XXXXX (which is 300 miles away) and I'm going to all the banks branches getting their halves". He happily took the halves and left without so much as a thank you.... My teller smiled at me and said, "He wont find anything there, thats the halves you brought us yesterday", then she procceded to open her drawer and hand me two 40%'ers she'd saved for me....

Pays to treat people nice and "my ladies" appreciate their little bag of chocolates I bring them every week, and the pictures that my kids color for them to hang on their teller cubes.

So yes, I wanted to tell him to go back to his "own turf", and to treat people more nicely, however I achieved silent satisfaction in picturing hime going thru my dumps.... :)
HH!

Very cool.. not only did they give your dumps to him but they also don't have any paperwork to fill out when they have to ship dumps off.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I would not even consider going 300 miles away in this environment when I could just go basically out in my front yard and have a much better chance of finding silver or gold with my old faithful Fisher 2!!!!!!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had 21 questions today too.

Mine were from a super friendly gal. She is like me...I am inquisitive and am always looking to learn something new. She was not a silver seeker, and first thought we were dumping saved change.

I was friendly, but pretty closed mouth about what we were doing. Since we were at one of my only two dump banks...no way am I willing to take the chance of letting her in on the secret, and then have her blab something to the tellers.

I can hear it now. "It is so neat that those people are dumping $1000 worth of coins in your machine after they've looked through it to find silver." >:(

It isn't that the tellers don't know...one of them asked today about finding silver...but those dump banks are VALUABLE to me.

FWIW, I am usually super chatty and very outgoing...but not at my dump bank!

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
on a rare occasion...ill run into this one dude at my dump bank...hes REALLY creepy, and rude, and we both are at a silent war against each other...what a dumb ass though...he puts his *2* boxes of halves on the floor in front of the coin machine, and bends down and picks up 2 handfuls of halves, and throws them in, then does another 2 etc., and the machine at my bank has a nice big ledge for you to rest anything on, so idk why he doesnt just dump it like a normal person...and, im sorry, some here may do this too, but i feel as if it is rude to dump your coins then throw the empty boxes into the small trash can next to the machine, acting as if its "the banks problem" to take your coins and haul away your trash...the trash can is all of 2 feet by 3 feet by 1 foot...its just rude to fill their trash with your F'in boxes imo...keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Agro said:
SFBayArea said:
Hell, you get your penny boxes, I get mine.. all productive boxes..

not exactly; i've gotten your penny boxes twice!

how do you know? what bank did you go to?

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
clovis97 said:
I had 21 questions today too.

Mine were from a super friendly gal. She is like me...I am inquisitive and am always looking to learn something new. She was not a silver seeker, and first thought we were dumping saved change.

I was friendly, but pretty closed mouth about what we were doing. Since we were at one of my only two dump banks...no way am I willing to take the chance of letting her in on the secret, and then have her blab something to the tellers.

I can hear it now. "It is so neat that those people are dumping $1000 worth of coins in your machine after they've looked through it to find silver." >:(

It isn't that the tellers don't know...one of them asked today about finding silver...but those dump banks are VALUABLE to me.

FWIW, I am usually super chatty and very outgoing...but not at my dump bank!

I've had random people ask me about it too.. I don't mind telling random people who don't really have an interest in coins about this because they probably still won't care. Some of my friends know about it but don't care either. But when it comes to someone else that orders boxes asking me about my business, no I'm not going to share.

brewboss

Mar 9, 2011
You guys are pathetic! Do you really think that your crap doesn't stink and that just because you are crh'ing your area that nobody else is entitled to do the same and actually talk about it? What makes you think you're All high and mighty? Perhaps you might realize that we live in a free country.

Btw, maybe that was me talking to you SF Bay ah

RoyHalladay

May 16, 2011
I have to agree with brewboss. A little kindness, without divulging hard-earned tricks of the trade, goes a long way with the Karma Gods. Just smile and be cool.

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
Agro said:

That's a good one. If anyone ever comes up to me and starts asking questions I'm just going to look at them like I'm crazy, maybe I am, glance around to see who is listening lean in close, and whisper "first rule of fight club!"

Now you know how to id me!

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
brewboss said:
You guys are pathetic! Do you really think that your crap doesn't stink and that just because you are crh'ing your area that nobody else is entitled to do the same and actually talk about it? What makes you think you're All high and mighty? Perhaps you might realize that we live in a free country.

my patheticity aside, everyone is entitled to do and talk about whatever they like, including me.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
brewboss said:

Never said I was high and mighty.. never said he wasn't entitled to CRH.. I explained how I felt about some guy asking me 21 questions about my business. It's my entitlement to give him the cold shoulder if I want. I don't know who you are but I've probably been doing this a lot longer than you. I have my own system worked up over time that took me time to develop, like I'm going to share it all at one with some stranger asking 21 questions in my own area. With finds being down compared to a couple years ago, you think I'm going to just give everything up? I work hard enough on this stuff as it is. You think your crap doesn't stink? You want me to ask you 21 questions at your dump bank?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
The coin roll hunters are a sly and secretive lot. They don't like newbz snatching away their precious silver. If you don't want new people taking up this hobby I wouldn't be posting all my great finds on treasurenet... This is the interwebz you know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread