What's new

I finally found this trade knife after 58 years.

oldbattleaxe

Sr. Member
Joined
May 26, 2010
Messages
449
Reaction score
340
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Technetics
I found this across the straits Michigan when I was a young man. It brings back memories. Our family rented a cabin near lake Superior. This knife appears to be a fur trade type of knife. I would like to find out if any of the experts here would be able to identify the maker. I cannot find any type of markings due to the rust pitting. When I found it I used a wire brush to get the dirt removed.
 
Upvote 0
I found this across the straits Michigan when I was a young man. It brings back memories. Our family rented a cabin near lake Superior. This knife appears to be a fur trade type of knife. I would like to find out if any of the experts here would be able to identify the maker. I cannot find any type of markings due to the rust pitting. When I found it I used a wire brush to get the dirt removed.
 
No pictures showed up. Click on this icon and insert pics-
.
Screenshot 2025-08-28 6.18.28 PM.webp
 
I apologize but somehow my computer has switched from JPEG to HEIC extension and cannot load my pictures at this time. Geek Squad is on it's was I hope!
 
What would the large hole be for?
Could be either to save weight, or was for a large pin to help hold the handles on. I'm inclined to think it was to save weight as it's rather large for the usual pin size that is used to hold handles on a knife.
 
This knife has been re-handled at least two times.
The middle hole could have started as a handle rivet hole.
Some makers used a large center rivet with smaller pins on both sides.

Multiple companies and individuals have made this style knife through the years.
If there are no vestiges of markings, it may be difficult to narrow it down to one maker.
 
That is a hand forged beaver skinner. It could have been made by just about
any trapper back in the day. The holes were made during the forging process,
most likely for handle pins.

Quite a find... :occasion14:
 
I suppose the maker mark could have been worn off. Is there any way to put time frame as to when it was made? I would like to made a similar handle for it. What pin holes would I use?
 
If it is as old as it looks the steel will not be on par with it's modern equivalent.
Handle is also badly cracked. Any attempt at a fix will destroy it's history and the tempering.

If you like the shape, there are newer knives exactly like this that will serve you well.

This knife has seen it's prime.
It may be best to wax it well and put it in a shadow box so others may appreciate its place in history.
Let it rest, while people make up stories about how it was used.
 
how much cleaning did you have to do?.... what did it look like when you found it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom