I found a 17th Century solid gold button!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have now seen it all. Officially. I was detecting with a friend at a couple sites yesterday and today. It's the start of deer hunting season, so we were being extra vigilant and trying to stay out of their way. There was this one soybean field we like, it was like the Indy 500 with cars there. First the farmer with the manure spreader. Fortunately, he didn't have enough for MOST of the field! Whew! Then a guy came in, we waved, he was putting up a deer stand. A little bit later, another car came in, he was checking his traps for foxes (he got two). I have mixed feelings on that, but he has every right to harvest them. Then we detected some more and then TWO more cars come in. We gave it up and left at that point. You'd think that bean field was the cat's meow.

Findings were slim. My friend found a musket ball on this site which dates to the 1700's. He also got a couple buttons and buck loads. I hadn't gotten much except for about 6 of the hand made buck and ball loads and a broken tombac button and a small brass tack.

We moved closer to the edge of the field and I got a solid signal on the Deus. It was very solid, but a small target. I dig anything that reads over "40" on the meter, this was about a 65. I dug a fairly shallow hole as I knew the whatever it was, was going to be little. It was only about 1" down. Opening the small plug I get the glimmer of bright gold. Hello? GOLD color? On this colonial house site with little evidence of ANYTHING ever happening there after the house was destroyed ca 1780? I mean come on! For instance, this site is so clean, I have only found two pulltabs on it. Ever.

I take it over to my friend, break open the little clump of dirt and sitting pretty is a high karat front half of a typical hollow 17th century gold button! It's about 1/4" in diameter. This button style was widely used 1650-1700 or so. I have some in my collection in base metal, but this blew me away. For the rest of the day I second guessed myself as to what it would be otherwise, but took it to a group dig and everybody there confirmed my suspicion as solid gold, and 17th century.

17th Century gold. Never in my wildest dream, even if it's only the front of the button. They were welded in the center, and the shank applied and some were solid cast.

It is shown here in comparison to the same style 17th century buttons made of other base metals. What's next? (Better not think of Unicorns.) View attachment IMG_0549.jpg

Upvote 22

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
am I the only one getting tired of telling smokey how good the finds are?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, rule #1 - go OUTSIDE with a detector and turn it on.

Rule #2 - follow me around?

This site has been hunted since the 1960's. Just had the coil at the right place at the right time. I think I do well because I can't walk hardly at all anymore and go very slow and steady. So whatever the loop goes over that is in range, I get. And I dig all the iffy targets and a lot of iron.

And you really, really, really don't want to know what was found this Pm.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must-go-back-and-find-the-other-half.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish smokey would be made a MOd, then there would be no time for detecting

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations, smokeythecat! Good for you. How sweet to see that gold color pop out. Nice find!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, remember the nap time? You joining me in the spring?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Gold button...outstanding! :notworthy:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very unusual and awesome find! Congrats!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done! Gold button, now that’s cool. BTW the other buttons are nice also. Congrats and HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Not many gold buttons ever recovered so it's a pretty rare find-come to think of it now silver ones are rare also.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an AWESOME button. A gold button by itself is pretty darn cool, but a gold button from the 1600's- now that's just incredible! Someone must have had to been very wealthy to have had gold buttons back then. Really cool find!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden days brother!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea that’s pretty outstanding..... big congrats

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very impressive find. Solid dome 17th century buttons made from tombac are not easy to find. Such buttons in gold are ultra rare. The person that wore that button was very wealthy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions