I found a miniature cannon

Nice find, good luck on the ID

Black powder & lead shot?, Man, when kids could be kids.

That's what I've heard! And I've seen pictures of other examples that were blown apart when the kids put too much powder in.

Somebody said they weren't actually designed for that ... that's just what the kids decided to do. I'm not sure about that, somebody built a little hole at the top for the powder so...

Thanks bud, I have had a few people on another forum say they were never fired but that goes against a lot of different sources I have checked which say that not only did kids fire them but a lot of kids were injured and killed by them.

If they weren't designed to be shot why did they add the little hole at the top where the powder went...?? Hmmm...!

Wow really cool find! Congrats! Thats what i love about our hobby, never know whats going to come out of the ground

Starting the new year off with a bang ! Nice find :icon_thumleft:

Cool find. Don't shoot your eye out!

Wow really cool find! Congrats! Thats what i love about our hobby, never know whats going to come out of the ground

Yes!!!

This is what I try to explain to my friends or parents whenever I launch in to another metal detecting story and their eyes glaze over. I'm practically screaming in their faces: "WHY DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? THERE COULD BE ANYTHING UNDER THERE, YOU JUST NEVER KNOW!" and they sort of nod and smile as if to say "whatever you say, sweetie." Hah, their loss! What a hobby this is.

That's what I've heard! And I've seen pictures of other examples that were blown apart when the kids put too much powder in.

Somebody said they weren't actually designed for that ... that's just what the kids decided to do. I'm not sure about that, somebody built a little hole at the top for the powder so...

The 'toy' cannons & Pentronels were designed to take black powder & yes I've seen lots blown apart. It was an expensive item & most were Gentlemens talking piece, after dinner fun. You would need to be a rich kid to play with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back