What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED I found this near a dumpster

rickertmork

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
371
Reaction score
741
Golden Thread
0
this thing appears to have serious craftsmanship. Is the makers mark hidden? I scrubbed it with oil and a copper brush for a bit. Maybe one of you a.I. people can find something
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9138.webp
    IMG_9138.webp
    505.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9137.webp
    IMG_9137.webp
    816.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9136.webp
    IMG_9136.webp
    574 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9135.webp
    IMG_9135.webp
    806.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9134.webp
    IMG_9134.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9133.webp
    IMG_9133.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9132.webp
    IMG_9132.webp
    886.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9131.webp
    IMG_9131.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9130.webp
    IMG_9130.webp
    734.7 KB · Views: 56
What a gorgeous, damascus steel knife..some serious craftsmanship went into
that knife. :occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
What a find next to a dumpster you made ! It looks like a foreign made knife of very nice quality . I'd get it appraised to find out any background about it as well as the approx. value ! Really a very nice find ! To me , I'd suspect it to be of Arebein history and very old !
 
Upvote 0
Nice find. It looks to me like a modern Pakistani damascus knife. Usually not terribly expensive. There are some really good (and really sharp) ones.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know about the fanciness of this particular knife, but if I were to guess, it looks like a skinning knife. I really can't tell by the photos, but most skinning knives as hollow ground and have a very fine edge. In any case, nice find no matter where you found it.
 
Upvote 0
For the light colored part of the handle, I'd guess antler or horn noting the semicircular core visible on the blade end and near the metal part of handle. But if it is old, it could be tusk (ivory).
 
Upvote 0
I don't know about the fanciness of this particular knife, but if I were to guess, it looks like a skinning knife. I really can't tell by the photos, but most skinning knives as hollow ground and have a very fine edge. In any case, nice find no matter where you found it.
this is what the geometry of a skinning knife looks like. I actually found a 1970s bucks 120 in the exact same location. The Damascus knife is a chefs knife, not for anything specific. An experienced chef could use that as their only knife(like me) but I have global knives so this is obsolete. Maybe I’ll try it when the corrosion wears off.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9146.webp
    IMG_9146.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0
this is what the geometry of a skinning knife looks like.

Geometry, yes, but it only needs to be about 1/3 that size, if that, unless you're
skinning an elephant. My favorite skinning knives usually had a blade of less
than 3".
 
Upvote 0
this thing appears to have serious craftsmanship. Is the makers mark hidden? I scrubbed it with oil and a copper brush for a bit. Maybe one of you a.I. people can find something
Very nice. Odd it has a sheath. They’re usually in kitchens. My life long friend Chef Jack sent me one for my birthday last month. It was $225. Is the dumpster behind a restaurant? Nice find. I’d clean sharpen and use it. 👍
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6322.webp
    IMG_6322.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Upvote 0
this is what the geometry of a skinning knife looks like. I actually found a 1970s bucks 120 in the exact same location. The Damascus knife is a chefs knife, not for anything specific. An experienced chef could use that as their only knife(like me) but I have global knives so this is obsolete. Maybe I’ll try it when the corrosion wears off.
I have a global I’ve been using for years and love it. The tip points downward. A friend gave me a larger one recently with a regular tip and I’ve nicked and stabbed myself already. No adult supervision.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7074.webp
    IMG_7074.webp
    252.8 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0
this thing appears to have serious craftsmanship. Is the makers mark hidden? I scrubbed it with oil and a copper brush for a bit. Maybe one of you a.I. people can find something
Did you dig it ?
 
Upvote 0
Geometry, yes, but it only needs to be about 1/3 that size, if that, unless you're
skinning an elephant. My favorite skinning knives usually had a blade of less
than 3".
I agree 10000% percent with this. It would be extremely difficult (for me) to skin with something that large. Most of the skinning work is done with the front maybe 1” of the tip/blade. Whenever that tip is then 6” from your hand the only thing it does is cause you to have less control. My skinning knives are short enough that I can have my hand wrapped around the handle and my pointer finger on the spine of the knife just behind the tip. This gives me a lot of control especially over how much pressure I am using.
 
Upvote 0
Very nice. Odd it has a sheath. They’re usually in kitchens. My life long friend Chef Jack sent me one for my birthday last month. It was $225. Is the dumpster behind a restaurant? Nice find. I’d clean sharpen and use it. 👍
Make sure you don’t get oils on the Woden handle. And wipe the wood with linseed oil every few months.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom