I had the funniest experience yesterday and wondered if....

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...anyone else had had something similar happen?

I work at a program (Mental Health) that's about $20 in gas (Round Trip) from where I live. I work 17 and 11hr shifts
on any given day. Yesterday I got off of an 11hr shift and had to be back to work (For a 17hr shift) about 5hrs later.

I didn't see any reason to drive home and back (A $20 bill) between shifts for the couple of hours I'd get to be there
(Home) so, on days when THAT happens, I usually hunt the parks around work (Corvallis, OR).

I'm hunting some old parks yesterday (In Corvallis). I'm digging a pretty good "hit" (mid 80's to 90
on My ATP with the 5X8 coil) at about 8 inches and my pro-pointer is goin' nuts in the hole. I'm diggin' it for a few minutes
(Fantasizing that it's some really cool.....SOMETHING! lol), look up suddenly and here's this little old Asian (I "Think" She
was Korean [?]) gal leaning over me (I ain't got a clue where she came from???!)!

I about jumped out of My skin! lol She was pretty much right on top of me and staring at the beeping pinpointer I
had in My hand. She said "something" to me in "Korean/Mandarin/Japanese" and then laughed. I didn't have a
clue what She was saying so I said...."Yeah, there's something metal down there" (Brilliant huh? lol).

The ol' gal followed me around the park for the next hour (I let Her listen to the ATP through the 'phones
and showed Her how the pinpointer worked [She got a kick out of that and I got another burst of some language
I didn't understand:laughing7: ])

Anyway,....anyone else have that happen to them? I thought that is was pretty cool that this Lady and I made
some sort've connection (Despite an almost complete language barrier) over digging up stuff in a public park.

It was pretty cool IMHO.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seven years of hunting, and no I've never had that happen. I think there are some folks, like you, that give off friendly vibes that can cross barriers, including language. Sounds like a fun experience for both of you.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I MD during the day at any parks or beaches I get followers all the time. The kids are great and they help me dig the treasures. I give them the clad pennies and tell them anything silver is mine! lol

I do get adults of all nationalities too, they are usually just interested in the hobby and ask a few questions and then move on.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at times I find polynesian females in grass skirts following me, but I didn't know they wanted to listen to my headphones!!

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
You are an ambassador for all of us.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good fun, another experience of metal detecting; you never know what's gonna happen next!

OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts folks 8-)

I DID think it was pretty neat and I can only imagine what She must have told the people in Her life that understand Her
language(?)

I'm guessin' it was something along the lines of...." I met this idiot today who uses a $600 electronic instrument to dig-up
old Pepsi cans from 1994"...lol:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread