BuckleBoy
Platinum Member
- Joined
- Jun 12, 2006
- Messages
- 18,159
- Reaction score
- 9,723
- Golden Thread
- 4
- Location
- Moonlight and Magnolias
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 4
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
These brass pieces seem to be fairly common finds. I have found two, and two of my buddies have found one each. One was found in a Civil War site, and the others were found at homesteads, so I'm leaning towards farming-related for an ID. Now to figure out what the heck they went on...
I feel certain that others must have dug examples of these pieces. Does anyone else have one to post to this thread?
Dates of the sites may not matter as much (like the scythe handle ferrule from earlier this year), since these could've been lost after a site was turned into farm land... but these were all found at 1850s to 1880s sites. So there's at least a rough time frame to work with.
Below are some photographs from several angles:
1. an angle showing the Edge and the Top of these items
2. a photo of the Top only
3. a photo of the Closed Side of these (there are two grooves in one of them, and there is one groove in the other. The other side of these items is open.)
4. a photo of the Bottom.
I hope this will be an easy ID for someone, but I've studied these these items for several years now with no ID yet, so it may be a long road ahead.




Thanks in advance for your help. I'm excited to hear your ideas.
Regards,
Buckles
These brass pieces seem to be fairly common finds. I have found two, and two of my buddies have found one each. One was found in a Civil War site, and the others were found at homesteads, so I'm leaning towards farming-related for an ID. Now to figure out what the heck they went on...
I feel certain that others must have dug examples of these pieces. Does anyone else have one to post to this thread?
Dates of the sites may not matter as much (like the scythe handle ferrule from earlier this year), since these could've been lost after a site was turned into farm land... but these were all found at 1850s to 1880s sites. So there's at least a rough time frame to work with.
Below are some photographs from several angles:
1. an angle showing the Edge and the Top of these items
2. a photo of the Top only
3. a photo of the Closed Side of these (there are two grooves in one of them, and there is one groove in the other. The other side of these items is open.)
4. a photo of the Bottom.
I hope this will be an easy ID for someone, but I've studied these these items for several years now with no ID yet, so it may be a long road ahead.




Thanks in advance for your help. I'm excited to hear your ideas.
Regards,
Buckles
BUT--it appears that they were only attached on (at the Most) two sides (back and left hand side in the photo I posted above) because the other blade needed to move under the box on the fingerloop side of the box (right hand side of the box in the photo) .
Note the three grooves in the top of the snuffer box pictured below. I also looked again and the snuffer boxes in my first post are a little bit shorter on one side (to accomodate the blade passing underneath that corner of the box). (This is VERY obvious in my last photo at the top of the post--that the boxes are shorter on the right hand side.) I can SEE the braising mark on the second one I posted in my original post (last photo). And it appears that these were only attached to the Back side of the blade! So it could be very possible that they could be removed or broken, since they weren't quite as sturdy to begin with. Also, look at the bent finger holes in the example I am posting below. It is obvious that Some of these items took some rough use or abuse. I would imagine that if two blades got bent even slightly, then clamping it together hard might be enough to knock the snuffer box off, especially if it were already loose. Mystery solved? 8)








