Sep 27, 2012

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121105_111028.png
    ForumRunner_20121105_111028.png
    241.4 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20121105_111104.png
    ForumRunner_20121105_111104.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 80
Can you scratch it with a knife? Quartz?

Upvote 0
Yes, I can scratch it. It has a velvety smooth surface when wet, unique to me so far. It also catches light like no other rock I have found. Quartz sounds right.
Thank you

Upvote 0
Translucent orange chalcedony.(carnelian )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems same one.

Washinton carnelian orange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys rock. thank you so much for your help it's beautiful. I hope I find more. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
Thank you guys.

Upvote 0
Did you test the hardness with a piece of quartz or a piece of steel?
If you scratched it with a piece of steel then it is not hard enough to be carnilian.
Could be a piece of opal. Which is silicon dioxide, like quartz and chalcedony, but with a little more H2O mixed in, which makes it softer. Only a small amount have the flashes of color that make them valuable.
Lots of different names for different kinds. I would call it honey opal.

Upvote 0
I found that in Oklahoma. Lake Murray I believe. It might have been Texoma I'm not sure...

Upvote 0
A warm good day to you and all. I’m a newbie, live in Oregon and see a lot of stone seemlier to the one you show. If you had found it here I would say it’s a piece of river worn agate. Do you have agate in you’re aria. Bottler

Upvote 0
Bottlerr am brand new this wonderful hobby. So I am not really sure I don't even know if what I found belongs where I found it. Maybe somebody else picked up and dropped it there I don't really know. It's the only 1 I found but that doesn't mean there's not tons more. I drop a little rose rock everywhere I go since I have buckets and buckets of them. So if anyone finds a rose rock where it just does not belong that mighta been me:)

Upvote 0
Lets see one of those rose rocks. Maybe you can drop one in the mail to me :laughing7:

Upvote 0
ForumRunner_20121105_200117.png

I never met a rose I wouldn't take home! I have different kinds from the dirtybird, but I wouldn't call them ugly.... some others may think so but I'm blind to that. Its always kinda like I have beer goggles on when I harvest, I only notice they aren't that cute the next day:p (a couple selenite crystals from the flats)

ForumRunner_20121105_200204.png

Upvote 0
Those rose rocks are the first rocks I ever found when I was a kid in Fl. My brother and I use to bottle hunt and we found a bunch of them in a pile under the dirt. I dont know if they were there naturally or somebody put them there. We took them all home and tried to sell them at a Hotel. We didnt sell any cause we thought they were worth a lot of money and I was about 11 yrs old then. My mother put them to the curb I do believe after I moved out 10 yrs later. I wish she had asked if I wanted them but she didnt. I do think they were the reason I like rocks today.

Upvote 0
Check out Baja's reply. What scratched your unknown piece? Steel or quartz?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back