I have found this i know its silver but what is it.

Sep 21, 2021
Oxon
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 250
Garret AT PRO
Garret ace 400i
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what i belive to be silver Unit coin/ ingot/ unit. But of a odd design to others.It looks like a coinIt weighs 40.81 grams ( forty point Eighty one grams) it looks to be chopped with like a chisel type tool As its a clean cut.From looking at how much has been cut i would say it weight was 2 troy ounces. I was not sure of what metal it was at first neither what it maybe so i check it with a magnetic and its not magnetic and i do not think it is lead. So done a water density test and got a reading of 10.82. I know this is a 100% method. But there is crystalized/dirt that has really stuck in what look like marking or score line. The coin/ingot is black (tarnishing) in colour and upon looking under a scope u can make out the silver colour.I have a fair bit a knowledge on british coins and have been a metal detectorist for some time now and havent and cant find anything like this. The tarnishing looks to be very old i have seen many things come out the ground over my years and this seems so dark that maybe i very old find. I found it in bucks uk in a place that dates back to iron age.

Attachments

• IMG-20210921-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20210921-WA0010.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-20210921-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210921-WA0002.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG-20210921-WA0012-1.jpg
    IMG-20210921-WA0012-1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-20210921-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210921-WA0004.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Upvote 12

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Toronto Dongle. :hello:
I have to agree with bonepicker, your find looks to be a brass or lead trade weight... what leads you to believe it's silver?

You may also want to post your question here... What Is It?

Best of luck to you,
Dave

TenEightyOne

Feb 20, 2022
It doesn't look like hacksilver or similar, I'd agree with trade weight or similar.

Please do tell HER about this, you'll probably get a better idea about similar finds and, of course, place this info in the record to help future investigations.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what i belive to be silver Unit coin/ ingot/ unit. But of a odd design to others.It looks like a coinIt weighs 40.81 grams ( forty point Eighty one grams) it looks to be chopped with like a chisel type tool As its a clean cut.From looking at how much has been cut i would say it weight was 2 troy ounces. I was not sure of what metal it was at first neither what it maybe so i check it with a magnetic and its not magnetic and i do not think it is lead. So done a water density test and got a reading of 10.82. I know this is a 100% method. But there is crystalized/dirt that has really stuck in what look like marking or score line. The coin/ingot is black (tarnishing) in colour and upon looking under a scope u can make out the silver colour.I have a fair bit a knowledge on british coins and have been a metal detectorist for some time now and havent and cant find anything like this. The tarnishing looks to be very old i have seen many things come out the ground over my years and this seems so dark that maybe i very old find. I found it in bucks uk in a place that dates back to iron age.
Cool!!! Oldie!!!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like hacksilver or similar, I'd agree with trade weight or similar.

Please do tell HER about this, you'll probably get a better idea about similar finds and, of course, place this info in the record to help future investigations.
Welcome to Tnet.Who or what is this cryptic HER? Curious minds want to know!:laughing7:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is her?

I too would like to know this!

Welcome to Tnet.Who or what is this cryptic HER? Curious minds want to know!:laughing7:

I assume its the County Finds Liaison Officer (FLO)

He's referring to “Historic Environmental Records” [HERs], which are managed by local authorities as the essential core of historic environment services. There are over 85 of them, hosting database and digital mapping information detailing local archaeological sites and finds, historic buildings and historic landscapes. Details on the Heritage Gateway Site:

https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/gateway/chr/default.aspx

It kinda runs in tandem to the Portable Antiquities Scheme but differs from it in that it only covers England (not England and Wales like the PAS), records more than just archaeological “objects” and is not a Museum organisation. The PAS is run jointly by the British Museum and the National Museum of Wales. HER’s are run by county council or unitary authorities, district councils, national parks and some major landholders such as the National Trust.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's referring to “Historic Environmental Records” [HERs], which are managed by local authorities as the essential core of historic environment services. There are over 85 of them, hosting database and digital mapping information detailing local archaeological sites and finds, historic buildings and historic landscapes. Details on the Heritage Gateway Site:

It kinda runs in tandem to the Portable Antiquities Scheme but differs from it in that it only covers England (not England and Wales like the PAS), records more than just archaeological “objects” and is not a Museum organisation. The PAS is run jointly by the British Museum and the National Museum of Wales. HER’s are run by county council or unitary authorities, district councils, national parks and some major landholders such as the National Trust.
Thanks Red-Coat! I like Andy Capps wife better!!!:laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You left it out the bag now..lol I've been keeping that resource on the downlow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions