What's new

I know they are reeds, but...

lumbercamp

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
948
Reaction score
33
Golden Thread
0
I have found numerous harmonica reeds at this 1890's mining town, but can't figure out what kind of instrument these would have come from. Any ideas
 

Attachments

  • reeds.webp
    reeds.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 495
Looks like a harmonica to me.
 
Upvote 0
Hey! I've got one of those too!

Finds Cleaned.webp
 

Attachments

  • Finds Cleaned.webp
    Finds Cleaned.webp
    65 KB · Views: 287
Upvote 0
acordian reeds


The reeds of an early 20th century button accordion,
Reedsinset.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Buckleboy, do you think they are harmonica reeds? I checked the thickness with a micrometer. The typical harmonica reeds are around .050. The tapered one is roughly .080. The rectangle one is .110 and that seems rather thick for a harmonica. Maybe they are accordion reeds as Ralphw stated.
 
Upvote 0
lumbercamp said:
Buckleboy, do you think they are harmonica reeds? I checked the thickness with a micrometer. The typical harmonica reeds are around .050. The tapered one is roughly .080. The rectangle one is .110 and that seems rather thick for a harmonica. Maybe they are accordion reeds as Ralphw stated.

Because I've seen so many harmonica reeds come up, it was my first thought that that was what it was when I found it... But I'm not so sure now. The accordion reed plate seems like a pretty convincing guess. I think several clues lead me to believe that we're dealing with another animal here...

1. Length
2. Composition (lead? Pewter? pot metal? instead of brass)
3. The tapered shape of them (as opposed to rectangular)
4. Thickness


I'll go with "accordion reeds" for now. I've only found the pieces of the big ones at sites with late 1800s occupation.



Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
when i was a kid i remember seeing an instrument about 12 in. long that you blew into like a recorder but it had a keyboard and sounded like an organ. and lets not take this post to the dark side. i can already see it coming. no pun intended. and no, i didn't see it up close.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom