What's new

I know this should be in the other forum, but i thought yall might like to see this.

danasaur

Full Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2013
Messages
133
Reaction score
244
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama
I know this should be in the other forum, but i thought ya'll might like to see this.

THis piece is made from Colha chert. It originated in Belize, near the ruins of Altun Ha. Collected in mid-1960s. This is the largest "arrowhead" I have ever seen. I would classify this as a large eccentric. Purely ceremonial.
 

Attachments

  • image-4192981292.webp
    image-4192981292.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
That is really nice.I would guess it is more of a lance head or big knife.It is wayy to big for a arrow.That thing is a monster
 
Very nice example. That style is typically found between Colha & Altun Ha.

The traces are most likely long gone and the piece has probably been washed, but one of the theories is that those big pieces were painted and then buried in caches. You've probably seen frescos and other examples of Mayan paintings, they were quite skilled.

Here are a couple excavated by Dr. Hester of the U of Texas when he was doing a project in Colha.

Colha.webpColha2.webp
 
Very nice example. That style is typically found between Colha & Altun Ha.

The traces are most likely long gone and the piece has probably been washed, but one of the theories is that those big pieces were painted and then buried in caches. You've probably seen frescos and other examples of Mayan paintings, they were quite skilled.

Here are a couple excavated by Dr. Hester of the U of Texas when he was doing a project in Colha.

View attachment 1079927View attachment 1079929
:o what are those?Maybe there where some Giant's in the world
 
Not sure what you got there but Altun Ha was a cool place to visit and experience. Being a prospector and detectorist, It killed me to see many many places in the jungle along side of the road as we drove by, that I would love to detect or excavate. There are so many places, they are just sitting there out in the woods, untouched. Too many to even do in a lifetime. Amazing.
 
Amazing. Period. Human-kind is still such a mystery. ... wow. Thanks. Yakker
 
The artifacts shown by Joshuream are called eccentrics. These and the image that I uploaded are common among the Maya. They are found throughout Southern Mexico, Guatemala and Belize.
 
I've never seen anything like those. Amazing craftsmanship.
 
Thought I would show you some more. These people were amazing craftsmen.
 

Attachments

  • image-1784669348.webp
    image-1784669348.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2082051746.webp
    image-2082051746.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2920161324.webp
    image-2920161324.webp
    43 KB · Views: 117

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom