What's new

I know where the skunk boxes are coming from

Cat J

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
789
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I think I figured it out. The people who are actually doing Coin Roll hunting are getting skunk boxes because all the bank hoppers are getting all the silver before it can get to brinks to get in the rolls!!!! Now come on guys how is that fair ;D

Let some of them go back to get into rolls so we can find more.


LOL

HH
Cat
 
Upvote 0
I try to nab as many bank bags as I can before they go in. Depends on the banks policy however, sometimes you cant buy them. But I have a few banks that will. This is the best way to catch a compleat collection in one dump.
 
Yep I need to find some of those.

HH
Cat
 
jewelerdave said:
I try to nab as many bank bags as I can before they go in. Depends on the banks policy however, sometimes you cant buy them. But I have a few banks that will. This is the best way to catch a compleat collection in one dump.

If they have a counter, I use them for dumps. I figure if I buy a bag, I'll be getting mostly my dumps back.

Is that just the price you pay (looking through your own dumps)? Or, do you avoid dumping at some of the banks with counters? Not sure if we have enough with counters around here to make that practical...

Thanks,
Wally
 
most of the local banks wont sell bags because of "policy" So i do try to dump in multiple areas in order to get bags sent in, hence spending them on everyday things too as that will fill bags that cant be sold.
I will go though my own dumps on banks that will only sell a full bag.

When I go into a bank and they say the half bag has never been sent in in the time they have worked there but they can sell when it hits $1000, and if its in the $500's or higher full, I ask if I can fill the bag to buy it. They think for a sec, and are like, sure!
All they care about is the accounting coming out right. Its in those bags I find a lot when I can find em. So yes, its worth searching though $500 in dumps or less or even $900 if there is silver in there.

I also dump in amounts that fill several bags. If I go and dump 3k in halves, thats going to fill several bags. Of course I dont buy them, But I also only dump at banks that send in and have the Dont sell the bag policy.
My goal is to get as much deposited silver before it goes to the fed, that way I can stop it at the source, and find out witch banks have a higher probability of a silver depositor or multiple silver depositors bringing in halves. the banks that sell the bags are also good to go after other coins as well. Particularly if you find parts of a collection. the rest may be in the machine. Its better to get the deposited collection than the scattered remnants that you find in boxes after being diluted down with others.
 
On the topic of Chicagoland banks, I live up north by the IL/WI border (on the good side) and I go to my bank which has 4 branches within minutes drive from my house. I specifically use one bank to buy my boxes. I buy 3-4 boxes of halves (unless the new $1 coins come out then I buy those for a couple of weeks). When I pick them up on Friday, I put in the order for next week and then go back and get them and repeat. The ones I take back I divide between the other 3 banches and dump them there. This way my bank doesnt get angry when I pick up my boxes because they aren't getting them back and the other 3 usually just get enough to fill the bag that is started and start a new one so they dont get angry either. I also ALWAYS tell them that I am in no hurry and to take care of the other customers while the machine is running. They seem to appreciate that as well and they also appreciate a little friendly conversation to boot. This is always nice too since I see them every week. And it helps when you ask them to save any Ikes that may have come in during the week for me. I get a few here and there but I sure wish I could cash in a bag/box or two. One of "my girls" saved a hand full for me and there was a 1923 in it. Not bad for $1.

I also mark the Bicentenial halves so I can see how fast they are circulating in my area. So far I have only gotten one back that took a month to find me. I see others that are mark as well so I no I'm not the only one hunting. Especially in the Chicago area.

Posted is a pic of a Seated Liberty found in a box of halves in November 07.
 

Attachments

  • 1845-O.webp
    1845-O.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 291
Hydrantman,

Are you the one putting a green mark on the back of the bicentenials??

PS. That seated liberty is one awesome, once-in-a-lifetime find. Congratulations!!!
 
Thanks Gatzon. I also pulled a 1986 Commemoritive proof last week which really was pretty (posted below). No I'm not the Green Slash guy! But I have gotten many of those back in early December. Haven't seen any the past few weeks.
 

Attachments

  • 1986-S Proof.webp
    1986-S Proof.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 283
Awesome Seated Liberty...I am looking for the green slash guy..who also puts dates in green as well.
 
Hydrantman,

I am going to say the green slash guy is from Wisconsin....lol
 
Ok who colors the R with Red?

HH
Cat
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom