What's new

I made it back to the rock shelter today.

bci101tractors

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2013
Messages
541
Reaction score
279
Golden Thread
0
Location
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF0397.webpDSCF0405.webpDSCF0403.webpDSCF0402.webpDSCF0401.webpDSCF0404.webpDSCF0400.webpDSCF0399.webpDSCF0398.webpDSCF0406.webp
Hey,
Some have been asking if I have been back to the shelter, made it over there today for a while. I'm still digging in the same hole mainly because the ground is still frozen. I didn't find any more points today. I'm probably 12-14 inches down in that same spot. A lot of bone, a lot of charcoal, 2 more pottery pieces, a couple shell pieces, teeth, flint chips...
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that skull is? I was thinking muskrat?
Also wondering about that triangular bone piece, it has small cuts along the edges and looks like it had a purpose??
Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking!!
 
Upvote 0
This bone that you found is from a deer and is called a ''coffin bone'', it is located at the very end of the foot, and is literally the toe bone of a deer.

View attachment 747603

those are so plentiful at the site i hunt that i honestly think two people could gather a full bucket of them in less than an hour
they are interesting but have no value around here....but iv'e been told that bone does keep a long time around here
 
Alot here too. Deer was very popular.
 
Once in a while one of the foot bones were used to make points or fish hooks.
 
Last edited:
Pain getting them out of covering. Kid and i worked a few. Have seen outer (black) used for rattles.a couple deer worths hanging so they touch. A guy said he boiled his then sqeezed them in a vice.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom