I made it back to the rock shelter today.

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCF0397.JPG DSCF0405.JPG DSCF0403.JPG DSCF0402.JPG DSCF0401.JPG DSCF0404.JPG DSCF0400.JPG DSCF0399.JPG DSCF0398.JPG DSCF0406.JPG
Hey,
Some have been asking if I have been back to the shelter, made it over there today for a while. I'm still digging in the same hole mainly because the ground is still frozen. I didn't find any more points today. I'm probably 12-14 inches down in that same spot. A lot of bone, a lot of charcoal, 2 more pottery pieces, a couple shell pieces, teeth, flint chips...
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what that skull is? I was thinking muskrat?
Also wondering about that triangular bone piece, it has small cuts along the edges and looks like it had a purpose??
Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking!!

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. The stuff is preserved very well. I am unsure on the bone thought maybe a section of an animals lower mandible but looking at a european mount of a deer in my office it may be the section below the eye and upper jaw of a deer. Also the section behind the ears on a lot of mammals is very hard and preserves well. Does not look human and that is good as it looks like you are in a food processing and cooking area.:tongue3: That site will just get better and better. Any luck on the reports from the other sites?
Glad you got out. You are going to fill this place up with your discoveries this summer.

OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN,I hope your right. I have not tried any of the other sites yet, this one gets the most sun and is probably the only one not completly froze up.
Any thoughts on that triangular piece?? It looks like bone, but it is solid in the middle and with those marks on it, it must have been used for something??
Thanks again
Cool. The stuff is preserved very well. I am unsure on the bone thought maybe a section of an animals lower mandible but looking at a european mount of a deer in my office it may be the section below the eye and upper jaw of a deer. Also the section behind the ears on a lot of mammals is very hard and preserves well. Does not look human and that is good as it looks like you are in a food processing and cooking area.:tongue3: That site will just get better and better. Any luck on the reports from the other sites?
Glad you got out. You are going to fill this place up with your discoveries this summer.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find some great stuff in and around that big shelter I'm sure. My thought on the triangular bone is that it has been chewed by a rodent at some point. They work their way around a piece like that. I have one that is totaly worked over by some furry little guy...also see a couple deer teeth.

ForumRunner_20130224_182414.png

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great that you were on site again. No help from me on id.s but happy for you.

OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gator, Ya, I agree with you, it just seemed odd how the marks were so equally laid out, triangular to a point and solid? I also never noticed any marks on any of the other bone?
Thanks again and thanks for looking.
You will find some great stuff in and around that big shelter I'm sure. My thought on the triangular bone is that it has been chewed by a rodent at some point. They work their way around a piece like that. I have one that is totaly worked over by some furry little guy...also see a couple deer teeth.

View attachment 747309

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome... if you think the partially frozen ground may cause you to turn over soil and not be sure you got to view everything in it you may want to wait a little longer. I'm pretty sure you have it figured out..it seems like you are doing a very good job in the conditions.

OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome... if you think the partially frozen ground may cause you to turn over soil and not be sure you got to view everything in it you may want to wait a little longer. I'm pretty sure you have it figured out..it seems like you are doing a very good job in the conditions.
Ya thanks again gator, what Im digging now is pretty much the sand right along the wall and it slowly tapers to soil a couple feet out. I did uncover what looks to be a large scapula(deer?) that might have been with the bone in the pics from today, I uncovered a couple inches, but the rest was locked in frozen ground so I just left it for next time. I didn't want to break it, just in case.
How important do you think it is to keep all the charcoal I find? I think its pretty cool, but its kind of a pain to sort everything. I was thinking of keeping samples from different depths and locations?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see a close up of pic #9 the one with the tip. Looks like a tool.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya thanks again gator, what Im digging now is pretty much the sand right along the wall and it slowly tapers to soil a couple feet out. I did uncover what looks to be a large scapula(deer?) that might have been with the bone in the pics from today, I uncovered a couple inches, but the rest was locked in frozen ground so I just left it for next time. I didn't want to break it, just in case.
How important do you think it is to keep all the charcoal I find? I think its pretty cool, but its kind of a pain to sort everything. I was thinking of keeping samples from different depths and locations?

Personally I would leave the charcoal ..burnt bone..and things like that in a tailings pile outside the shelter. Preferably in a spot you don't plan on diging real soon. The rest of course is up to you.. I think it's a good idea to keep a couple examples of the types of food that was eaten by the locals. But once the ground thaws.. you will see pretty quickly that you don't want to bring all of that in your house. ... also... if you come across some bone pieces that you really want to keep I suggest soaking them in a mixture of Elmer's glue and water. That's the cheapest easiest way to preserve bone. The conditions that preserved them to this point no longer exist and they are getting a lot more oxygen now.. most times they don't last very long unless they are stabilized some way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking Rock, I hope these pics are better than the last ones. Might be hard to see what I was looking at from the pics?
Thanks again DSCF0407.JPG DSCF0408.JPG DSCF0409.JPG DSCF0410.JPG DSCF0411.JPG
Id like to see a close up of pic #9 the one with the tip. Looks like a tool.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No the flat one kinda white or grey.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree.. the rounded piece looks like a broken blade.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that shell or stone?

ForumRunner_20130224_221239-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY ABOUT THAT, THAT WAS SHELL.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Old Digger,
I think you nailed it. I was very puzzled, thank you so much. Great diagram, never even knew that bone existed.
Thanks again,
BCI

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept thinking about the teeth and it was bugging me and was looking at my bob cat. I think the other bone may be a section of the lower jaw of a bob cat. I thought deer but was wrong. See what you think?

c135b.jpg

OP
OP
bci101tractors

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN,
I posted some more pics on a new post. I am very interested in what was butchered/eaten and really appreciate all you help. Right next to the bone you were inquiring about, there was another large bone that looked like it went with it, but the ground right there was frozen and I just left it for later. I can see similarities from your bobcat, I'm thinking when the other piece can be dug we will know for sure.
Thanks again, BCI
I kept thinking about the teeth and it was bugging me and was looking at my bob cat. I think the other bone may be a section of the lower jaw of a bob cat. I thought deer but was wrong. See what you think?

View attachment 749326

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah,Old digger ya beat me!!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread