What's new

I set my new personal best yesterday! (Updated Pics)

tomharris76

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
412
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I hit a couple of new parks yesterday with Vanoldschool. I spent a couple of nights researching some parks using historicaerials.com. If you havent used this site before I highly recommend it. I ended up finding a 1937 wheatie (#45) for the year, a 1919 D merc and a really worn I beleive it to be a barber dime. I didn't even know it was silver until I got home and started cleaning it. I can barely make out the words "one dime" on the back. There is absolutely nothing on the front. I havent seen a silver coin worn out this bad before, I cant even get the rest of the crud of the back. My luck it's a seated and I'll never know, lol. Anyway, that set my new personal best at 8 silvers for the year. It's really turning into a great year.
 

Attachments

  • Toms Pics 103.webp
    Toms Pics 103.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 858
  • Toms Pics 105.webp
    Toms Pics 105.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 851
  • Toms Pics 108.webp
    Toms Pics 108.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 331
  • Toms Pics 109.webp
    Toms Pics 109.webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

The merc looks flawless. Nice find! HH
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Hey good job on the coins and the research paid off :headbang: :headbang: What kind of detector are you using?
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

CrustyClad said:
Hey good job on the coins and the research paid off :headbang: :headbang: What kind of detector are you using?
Thanks, I use a Minelab SE Pro.
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

put that dime on electrolysis that dark stuff will come right off in a few minutes!


Chukers
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Very nice. I really like the Merc.
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Nice Merc! It's a better date, looks like a $50.00 dollar coin for sure.
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Seated for sure :icon_thumleft: update us on the answere.. MR TUFF
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Nice finds Tom. I hope to be able to join you and Van again soon. Travel and sickness is killing me.
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

That's a beautiful merc !
I've had some great results removing that black crust from common/worn coins
heating the coin in a gas flame & dropping it in cold water, it usually blasts it right off & left the coins I've used it on in better shape than other methods I've tried.
I don't recommend this for anyone, it works well for me.
this IH was hopeless when dug. or so I thought.
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 04-20 003.webp
    NH FINDS 04-20 003.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 414
  • NH FINDS 04-20 004.webp
    NH FINDS 04-20 004.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 405
  • NH FINDS 04-20 003.webp
    NH FINDS 04-20 003.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 393
  • NH FINDS 04-20 004.webp
    NH FINDS 04-20 004.webp
    40.4 KB · Views: 385
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

steelheadwill said:
That's a beautiful merc !
I've had some great results removing that black crust from common/worn coins
heating the coin in a gas flame & dropping it in cold water, it usually blasts it right off & left the coins I've used it on in better shape than other methods I've tried.
I don't recommend this for anyone, it works well for me.
this IH was hopeless when dug. or so I thought.
Wow, that looks like it worked great! I think I'll give it a try, I don't think I can hurt this coin...lol
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

testing123 said:
Got my fingers crossed it's seated! I asked the PCGS coin forum is there's any differences between a barber and seated reverse...

see thread here:http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=818817

Maybe there's enough detail left to tell.
Thanks for the info. I've been studying this coin for 2 days and I can't tell. There's just not enough detail left.
 
Re: I set my new personal best yesterday!

Ok, Steelheadwill, a few more details. How hot do you get the coin---as hot as you can or just a few seconds in the flame? Do you do it on your gas stove or with a propane torch? Thanks.
 
Your best Silver by far brother, had a good weekend have fun next week!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom