What's new

I still have it....

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
12,680
Reaction score
43,404
Golden Thread
1
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time out folks I was just returning to an old haunt, just to enjoy a pleasant walk around a favorite place to walk. Didn't expect nothing but to maybe recharge my "batteries".

That's what I got, no finds but a very pleasant walk in an old, old place.

This time, I decided to check on whether I've just lost the ability to find. To do that, I picked on another place where I already knew it would take considerable skill just to find *anything* worth finding. I call this place my "Littles Spot".
Not only because little is ever found there anymore but because the conditions forces me to pay very close attention to the signals! If I don't then truly nothing is usually found.
I wanted to see if my old ear could even still discern very light signals. Both from being deep and/or small.

One has to pay attention to all signals! But, if I tried to just "dig 'em all", it would look like a bulldozer went thru. So, discernment of what the machine is trying to tell you all the time, is *very* tiring and tedious!! Still, I was on trial.... by me!

I came away feeling as if I passed my test. Take a peek at the results and let me know what you think. Do I still got it?

IMG_20250602_115119.webp
IMG_20250602_115142.webp
IMG_20250602_121108.webp
IMG_20250602_124833.webp
IMG_20250602_143034.webp
IMG_20250602_145823.webp
IMG_20250604_102807.webp
IMG_20250604_102927.webp
IMG_20250604_102950.webp
IMG_20250604_103007.webp

and.....finally....
IMG_20250604_103035.webp


Sooooo what say ye, hunters of the old?

Have I still got what it takes? 😏 😇

BTB...the clad quarter? Was over 9 inches deep!

Thanks for all the peeking! Now, and over the years!
 
Upvote 45
I wish my brain knew how to tell a good from bad signal lol. I do the dig a million holes method til something good pops up. Anything pull tab signal and up I dig then use my pinpointer on max settings to only have to do minimal damage hole wise. Can't even tell when I "bulldozed" a site lol
 
Last time out folks I was just returning to an old haunt, just to enjoy a pleasant walk around a favorite place to walk. Didn't expect nothing but to maybe recharge my "batteries".

That's what I got, no finds but a very pleasant walk in an old, old place.

This time, I decided to check on whether I've just lost the ability to find. To do that, I picked on another place where I already knew it would take considerable skill just to find *anything* worth finding. I call this place my "Littles Spot".
Not only because little is ever found there anymore but because the conditions forces me to pay very close attention to the signals! If I don't then truly nothing is usually found.
I wanted to see if my old ear could even still discern very light signals. Both from being deep and/or small.

One has to pay attention to all signals! But, if I tried to just "dig 'em all", it would look like a bulldozer went thru. So, discernment of what the machine is trying to tell you all the time, is *very* tiring and tedious!! Still, I was on trial.... by me!

I came away feeling as if I passed my test. Take a peek at the results and let me know what you think. Do I still got it?

View attachment 2211186View attachment 2211187View attachment 2211188View attachment 2211189View attachment 2211190View attachment 2211191View attachment 2211192View attachment 2211193View attachment 2211194View attachment 2211195
and.....finally....
View attachment 2211197

Sooooo what say ye, hunters of the old?

Have I still got what it takes? 😏 😇

BTB...the clad quarter? Was over 9 inches deep!

Thanks for all the peeking! Now, and over the years!
Well it's safe to say you still got it !! Nice work, congrats !!
 
I wish my brain knew how to tell a good from bad signal lol. I do the dig a million holes method til something good pops up. Anything pull tab signal and up I dig then use my pinpointer on max settings to only have to do minimal damage hole wise. Can't even tell when I "bulldozed" a site lol
There are *very* few hunters with the dig em all method that I would even want to allow on my property. Takes a *lot* of skill and perseverance to dig a hole every 2 inches and not destroy the land. I could never figure out why people pay all that money for the best discriminating detector and then just dig every Beep.

One thing is certain, I could dig for hours and only the elite hunters in this hobby would ever be able to tell I had been there.

But, this place is so trashy, that training the ear to pick up on subtle differences in a signal can pay off big. Not only do you dig less but the quality goes up on what is found.
I have no interest in winning the contest for the most trash dug. And I certainly don't want the hobby to suffer by ruined landscapes.

At my age, time is at a premium and my body can no longer do marathon digging. 🙃
 
There are *very* few hunters with the dig em all method that I would even want to allow on my property. Takes a *lot* of skill and perseverance to dig a hole every 2 inches and not destroy the land. I could never figure out why people pay all that money for the best discriminating detector and then just dig every Beep.

One thing is certain, I could dig for hours and only the elite hunters in this hobby would ever be able to tell I had been there.

But, this place is so trashy, that training the ear to pick up on subtle differences in a signal can pay off big. Not only do you dig less but the quality goes up on what is found.
I have no interest in winning the contest for the most trash dug. And I certainly don't want the hobby to suffer by ruined landscapes.

At my age, time is at a premium and my body can no longer do marathon digging. 🙃
The school I detect I've probably dug 100s upon hundreds of holes but can never tell I've dug at all. For me I just have a dummy brain no matter how long I've done the hobby I never really learn to tell what's good or not. Just a me problem but I am very stubborn and respectful and do not want to make a mess nor give the hobby a bad name. I won't dig without a top of the line pinpointer that will tell me exactly were my target is making it so I really leave no sign of me ever digging
 
The school I detect I've probably dug 100s upon hundreds of holes but can never tell I've dug at all. For me I just have a dummy brain no matter how long I've done the hobby I never really learn to tell what's good or not. Just a me problem but I am very stubborn and respectful and do not want to make a mess nor give the hobby a bad name. I won't dig without a top of the line pinpointer that will tell me exactly were my target is making it so I really leave no sign of me ever digging
Several times, in this hunt, the signal was less than a pull tab. But, there was a different sound to it. I've dug enough to sometimes be able to recognize what I call a multiple target. Not, side by side but rather over under. I knew it was more than 1 but I caught a certain squeak in the frequency that told me it was worth digging. I found a tab, a foil insert from a cap and about 9 inches down, the quarter.

One of my patterns is to call my shot before I dig. I'm wrong more times than I want to admit. And I do dig more than a fair share of junk. Still, calling that shot has taught me to listen more carefully to what my A.T. Matey is trying to tell me!

Once, I had a strange signal, around 51 on the AT. I call that my nickle/tab/ring signal.

But....somehow this was different. Consistent but a shorter than usual signal.

I had a time making up my mind. Finally, I said, "It's definitely like a nickle signal but too short in length. Almost like half a nickle."

I dug it and it turned out to be a silver nickle but........it had been chopped in half by a lawnmower!! 🤣

And now.....you know the *rest* of the story!! 😇
 
Several times, in this hunt, the signal was less than a pull tab. But, there was a different sound to it. I've dug enough to sometimes be able to recognize what I call a multiple target. Not, side by side but rather over under. I knew it was more than 1 but I caught a certain squeak in the frequency that told me it was worth digging. I found a tab, a foil insert from a cap and about 9 inches down, the quarter.

One of my patterns is to call my shot before I dig. I'm wrong more times than I want to admit. And I do dig more than a fair share of junk. Still, calling that shot has taught me to listen more carefully to what my A.T. Matey is trying to tell me!

Once, I had a strange signal, around 51 on the AT. I call that my nickle/tab/ring signal.

But....somehow this was different. Consistent but a shorter than usual signal.

I had a time making up my mind. Finally, I said, "It's definitely like a nickle signal but too short in length. Almost like half a nickle."

I dug it and it turned out to be a silver nickle but........it had been chopped in half by a lawnmower!! 🤣

And now.....you know the *rest* of the story!! 😇
My best finds are always off signals that sound iffy always have been my gold finds.
 
The more I learned, the more signals I dig. Most good artifacts don't fall in neat number ranges like coins. I guess it all depends what you hope to find. Not knocking your system at all. Your photos show you doing you works great.
 
My best finds are always off signals that sound iffy always have been my gold finds.
As far as best, Largest piece of gold I ever found, sounded like a manhole cover. The worst signal? I rejected then went back 3 separate times in my walking grid. Each time I rejected at first but felt funny about it. Last time I convinced myself I wasn't *that* tired!! 🙂
I dug it to get it out of my way.

A 1/4 carat diamond engagement ring!! Fairly small but enough to remind to not ass-u-me....*all* the time. 🙄😳🤣
 
As far as best, Largest piece of gold I ever found, sounded like a manhole cover. The worst signal? I rejected then went back 3 separate times in my walking grid. Each time I rejected at first but felt funny about it. Last time I convinced myself I wasn't *that* tired!! 🙂
I dug it to get it out of my way.

A 1/4 carat diamond engagement ring!! Fairly small but enough to remind to not ass-u-me....*all* the time. 🙄😳🤣
Dang nice one
 
The Garrett gives you the option of listening unlike many higher end machines. It's all about the sound.
 
Nice find nice going and thanks for the story
 
The Garrett gives you the option of listening unlike many higher end machines. It's all about the sound.
Been doing it since my Garrett Groundhog Days. (Which I still have and that still works. It is an art unto itself, the listening.)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom